Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Your New Year's Resolutions/Changes?

edited December 2011 in Fund Discussions
Continue investing in my own manner, but continue to move focus to longer-term investments/themes and further away from more day-to-day/short-term thinking/trading.

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Increased AIP (automatic investment) into a fund effective Jan. 1 - after reading about some guy still working at 97. Yikes...might actually live that long.
  • I think I will streamline a little bit. I probably have too many funds. My overweight in intl really hurt this year, but I still think it is good long term. I also plan to consolidate a few accounts. Between MDW and I, I would like to get down to 5.
  • That reminds me - also leaving Etrade, whose customer service is terrible.
  • Reply to @00BY: Last week, I've rolled over 3 older 401k plans which I have been holding because I liked a couple of funds but I finally chose to simplify. I've also merged wife's two Roth accounts back in November.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2011
    I've been raising cash since the summer. Not because I'm an equity guru who correctly read the tea leaves and foresaw the summer swoon, but because of the great new addition to my family.

I'm going to raise even more cash (like tomorrow) because I don't like what's (not) happening in Europe:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/45662343
  • Reply to @00BY: Streamling the number of funds enable easier management. In 2011 we reduced our 20+ funds to less than 10 - many of which have too much portfilio overlap. We also rollovered old 401(K) into single accounts with 2 brokerages. Same goes for Roth IRA accounts.

Next year we will use more "global allocation funds" instead of international and domestic funds.
  • edited December 2011
    2012 plan:
    1. Consolidate funds moderately,
    2. No short-term trades (we'll see how that goes),
    3. Cut back on volatile investments (in relation to category),
    4. Limit trading to strategic moves within allocation bands and occasionally replacing a fund,
    5. Put more of my risk asset allocation in riskier bonds rather than stocks,
    6. Less market/fund monitoring.

Gee, only 6 more, and I'd have a 12-step anti-addiction program ...
  • In my trend following, my resolutions are to trade only when there's a clear trend and to stick to using daily charts, not 60-minute charts.
  • edited December 2011
    I resolve to stop looking at my MIDSX every day... well, maybe just one little peek..
  • Mindy,

Now, now..........in theory; some central banks and others will likely buy into the lower pricing.

Regards,
    Catch
  • Reply to @Tony: How did the trend following go this year. When intl funds dropped below 200 dma in June-ish I should have cut back, but life and work were busy and I didn't get around to it.
  • Reply to 00BY: I did poorly this year. My saying is: "I can make trend following work in the past, but not in the future." I'm still trying, though.