Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Hazardous To Your Wealth?

This year looks like it will be a record year for capital gains distributions. If you haven’t seen it, TheShadow started a discussion thread "2014 estimated (preliminary) year end distributions” that provides links to tons of fund firms’ distribution estimates including some for some very small firms.

I've found capital gains estimates from over 140 firms and have made these links available (for free) on www.CapGainsValet.com. Be careful when buying a mutual fund in your taxable account through year-end. I've already counted over 450 funds that have estimated distributions over 10% of NAV. Of those, 55 have estimated distributions over 20%! (Check out the list of these at www.capgainsvalet.com/in-the-doghouse/).

I hope you find the information helpful.