Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Closed end funds

edited December 2011 in Off-Topic
There are some closed end funds that throw off a nice stream off income.
Is there a place on the web that has a blog or site like Mutual Fund observer dedicated to Closed end funds?

prinx

Comments

• Scott
    Thanks. Do you think it is worthwhile getting a subscription.
    I recently invested in a fund PDT. Kt has a steady 6.5-7% distribution and 21% 1 year ret. The only negatives are a relatively large ER and a discount of < 1%.. All the dividends are qualified so it is good for tax deferred or taxable accounts.
    Please comments
    Burt
  • Dear Burt: Website for CEF's-- Closed End Fund Association.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://www.cefa.com/
  • msf
    edited December 2011
    There's also CEF Connect, that even Scott's Dividend Detective says "is the go-to site for information on closed-end funds".
  • prinx,

You might want to look at these CEFs.

This is my Top Two list of DEBT CEFs in descending order–

HIX
    Exp. Ratio 1.15%
    Ann. Div. % yield as of 12-10-11 10.17%
    Div. paid out Monthly

AWF
    Exp. Ratio 1.01%
    Ann. Div. % as of 12-10-11 8.40%
    Div. paid out Monthly

My Top Two list of EQUITY CEFs in descending order –

DNP
    Exp. Ratio 2.20%
    Ann. Div. % as of 12-10-11 7.10%
    Div. paid out Monthly

UTF
    Exp. Ratio 2.36%
    Ann. Div. % as of 12-10-11 9.00%
    Div. paid out Quarterly

Obviously, you’ll want to subtract the Expense Ratio from the Yield
    to arrive at the Spread (actual return)
    Each of these has outperformed the S&P 500 index YTD and has decent trading volume.

Flack
  • For discussion groups you might want to take a look at joining the Yahoo CEF discussion group or the M* CEF discussion group. I've used both quite a bit.
  • Thank you all!

That is what I am looking for a discussion group so that I can educate myself about individual CEF's. That is what I did with FA which has greatly benefited my portfolio.

I have also invested in RNCOX and I am interested in learning if there are other similar open endede mutual funds which have portfolios of CEF's . Are there any?

prinx
  • FOF is a CEF that is composed of CEF's
    RNDLX is a mix of Doublelines (Grundlach) bond expertise and RiverNorth's CEF juggling.
  • First learn about CEF's, they aren't for everyone. Ted provided a link that will give you the basics. Many of these inflated dividends are just return of capital. Return of capital must be deducted from your cost basis as it is nothing more than the fund sending your money back to you.
  • Reply to @prinx: PCEF an ETF of CEFs.
  • New article from M* Two Proposed--and Interesting--CEFs in the Pipeline
    http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=449745

Also, I strongly agree with Ed that you learn about them before jumping in