Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Reasons To Buy Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. L.P. (KKR): Distributions And Price Appreciation

Comments

• Jez don't ask too many a question
    'Cause it gives us an indigestion.
    And, if you just can't help yourself and do.....
    Well, maybe KKR just isn't right for you.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2014/11/private-equity-kingpin-kkr-threatens-iowa-pension-fund-foia-request.html
  • edited November 2014
    Ha! Good stuff. I too did see recently that KKR under pressure to reveal a bit more...

Under pressure from D.C., P-E firms revise fee disclosure
  • @heezsafe To be a bit cold-blooded about it, that link sure makes it look you'd be better off buying the shares than investing in one the funds, though one has to worry about governance on that end too.
  • @ One of my major holdings ! Bought 6/18/13 at $18.74 and a very nice dividend, I love KKR.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted: it is a partnership structure, right? K-1 at tax time..
  • @fundalarm: Yes, K-1 at tax time, but my tax accountant takes care of that, and it isn't the big deal some folks make of it
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited November 2014
    @expatsp yeah, that's my thinking, too. While I understand the attraction of KKR for Ted et al., I think I'm going to wait for a little more of a pullback in OAK and have that as my first major position in private equity, though.

As Charles may know, there is some recent history in Iowa re. this FOIA dust-up, some really bad (as in stupid) investments in hedge funds/private equity/managed futures by pensions and university foundations, with very poor transparency from the get-go. But if KKR and their ilk cannot handle a bit more visibility for pension fund money (cause that's just not the way we roll kind of thing), then how are they (and esp. hedge funds) gonna handle management of a sleeve or two, here and there, in '40 Act funds? I see some significant problems with compliance. The SEC has put them on notice. [on the other hand, Oaktree has managed to do it well, for years, so maybe, after a period of adjustment, it won't be a problem]
  • edited November 2014
    Still long OAK and BX, waiting for the spin-off next year from the latter, not putting more into either (although there's very little that appeals to me in general at this point, with things where they are.) KKR's fine too, I just ended up going with OAK/BX.