Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

MF Discuss Page: 75% no-comment links

edited November 2014 in Technical Questions
The 'front page' of MF Discuss here, as I write, consists of 40 posts, of which 30 are links only with no comments, posted by a single individual. (There are a couple more no-comment links from others.)

For MFO, selectivity, not cleanliness, is next to godliness. It continues to be too difficult to sort through the chaff to find topics of interest.

Comments

• TedTed
    edited November 2014
    @AndyJ: Maybe no comments, but how many views. Just because there wasn't any comment doesn't mean someone didn't benefit from the link article. In my opinion, this is an mutual fund educational site, not a social media. com. You must learn to seperate the wheat from the chaff.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited November 2014
    AndyJ said:

The 'front page' of MF Discuss here, as I write, consists of 40 posts, of which 30 are links only with no comments, posted by a single individual. (There are a couple more no-comment links from others.)

For MFO, selectivity, not cleanliness, is next to godliness. It continues to be too difficult to sort through the chaff to find topics of interest.

- The idea to mitigate issue was to migrate zero-comment discussions (discussions that have no comments in 48 hours) to the bullpen categories as discussed in a previous post.

Chip, and David can migrate zero-comment discussions (discussions that have no comments in 48 hours) to the bullpen categories as discussed in a previous post.

I am not sure if they purposely didn't update or not.

However, I will do it this time, with the presumption that they didn't have time.

there may be another option soon to make both sides of the fence happy, you may "see" it shortly.
  • Hi @Accipiter

Thank you. The bullpen was at rest for a bit, eh?
    Take care of you and yours,
    Catch
  • catch22 said:

Hi @Accipiter

Thank you. The bullpen was at rest for a bit, eh?
    Take care of you and yours,
    Catch

right back at ya!
  • Over saturation of reading materials (links) seem to dilute any effectiveness worthwhile topics "might" have...result: no comment
  • I have no issue with NO comment posted with each topic as I sort thru them quickly.
  • I have found a good number of the links that Ted post, that draw no comment, are indeed worthwhile reading with some of them providing information that would have been missed without them being posted.

I suggest we leave Ted along ... and, if you don't wish to read these no comment post ... It is very simple, don't open them.

Old_Skeet
  • Individual reaction/opinion to published material is a valuable learning tool...
    NO comment is nada....that means nothing (opinion)
  • edited November 2014
    @Tampabay, @AndyJ

this is just a test, so I don't know if it is permanent.

proviso: Chip and David didn't sign off on it, but I just thought I'd put it up for a test and an option. (It may be removed it proves to cause problems with site /or if otherwise is decided against.)

look on the upper left side in the panel, and click on discussions +

Now, everyone has a way to view as they see fit. If you are not logged in you do not have the discussions + option. So anyone viewing forum will see all the discussion activity.

Anyone clicking discussions at the top or recent discussions will see the usual.

And anyone clicking discussions + will get what they asked for in terms of viewing, if that is what they asked for.

so case closed if the Discussions + option works as expected for some individuals and doesn't cause technical glitches on the fourm.

• @Accipter,
    Discussion+ seems like a nice addition. Thanks also for the spell checker feature as well as the ability to use all the tools when editing a comment.
  • edited November 2014
    Amen & Thanks Andy.

My own thinking is that most of us have Internet access and can easily log-in to hundreds of business/investment articles just about any time of day at Bloomberg, Reuters, WSJ.com, etc. So, for me, it's the added human touch and an appreciation of how a particular financial news story relates to individual small investors (most of us)) that makes coming here worthwhile.

I guess we all have different expectations of what we'd like. It's clear from the other comments that many find value in the current framework as you aptly describe it.
  • edited November 2014
    I'm not as upset by the links but dismayed by the idea that, take away the links, there's the appearance/reality of far less activity on this board. The board continues to be a "club" for a bunch of regular members. Would be nice if there was a way to make the board more inviting for new people. Nothing wrong with the people here, the idea being that the effort to maintain this board is considerable for what is effectively a club.
  • Per AndyJ......" It continues to be too difficult to sort through the chaff to find topics of interest. "

I am dumbfounded by this statement. It is difficult to use the scroll wheel on your mouse to skip down a list of topics? My oh my.

Keep posting Ted. You're the man.
  • edited November 2014
    regarding Title of Post 75% no comment links,
    it seems its not worth beating a dead horse. now.

regarding posts "with no comments".

- some people like posts that are just posts that have links in them - nothing has changed regarding viewing.

- some people don't like to see lots of discussions with 0 comments. - that is potentially solved now

by clicking on discussions+ on top left hand side in panel.

if there is a technical glitch with discussions+ - let me know.
This discussion has been closed.