Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• hank December 2014
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Another Decline In Ford Truck Sales

TedTed
edited December 2014 in Off-Topic
FYI: Truck sales are one of the less traditional indicators we like to follow to gauge overall strength in the US economy, and more specifically the small business sector. With that in mind, today's release of F-Series truck sales in the month of November coupled with a variety of economic indicators showing slower momentum doesn't paint an especially rosy picture. During the month of November, Ford sold just over 59K F-series trucks which represented a decline of 1.4% from last year's total. This represents the first time since 2009 that sales of F-series trucks in the month of November declined on a year over year basis.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.bespokeinvest.com/thinkbig/2014/12/2/another-decline-in-ford-truck-sales.html?printerFriendly=true

But Overall Sales: http://www.reuters.com/assets/print?aid=USKCN0JG1A320141202

Comments

• edited December 2014
    NBR on PBS attributed the drop to low availability from shutting down the production line while transitioning to the new all aluminum F150.

A bigger concern to me is: What an inauspicious time to introduce the new truck. While prices haven't been announced, they'll need to charge a premium over competing models due to higher costs of materials and production. The major benefit will be higher mileage and (Ford claims) greater hauling capacity due to the lighter aluminum body. A hard sell with gas nearing $2 a gallon in some areas. I'd look for them to discount these heavily at first, trying to spark buyer interest. Probably some big (unprofitable) fleet sales. But it's going to be tough making money on this post-Thanksgiving turkey until gas prices head north.

I'm not so sure about the old "brand-loyalty" anymore. For some - yes. However, for us, the truck's a "second" vehicle. If it can haul a decent load and tow when needed ... and get me to the grocery store or barber shop when wife has the car ... I don't much care what brand it is.

Just some thoughts.