Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Alternatives. The Next Dimension in Asset Allocation.

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Hi JohnChisum,

Thanks for trolling this up and posting it on the board. I have been working on blending in some alternative asset classes within my own portfolio and found the reading both enjoyable and informative. My current target allocation to alternatives within my portfolio is about ten percent. That would incude commodities, precious metals and anything else that Morningstar classifies as "other" in Instant Xray tool such as convertibles, preferreds, derivatives, etc.

Thanks again.

Old_Skeet
  • edited December 2014
    @JohnChisum

Thanks for this excellent white paper on alternatives. After tracking PQTIX for a while, I finally purchased a 10% position in this fund on 11/14/2014 in my TDAmeritrade retirement account, where there is no minimum + TF. PQTIX is also available at Scottrade for a $100 minimum in both taxable and retirement accounts + TF.

For the 40 bp lower expense ratio of PQTIX (1.15%, prospectus) relative to PQTDX (1.55%, prospectus), I am more than happy to spread my portfolio out from Wellstrade, where we hold most of our assets, to other brokerages where I can buy favorable fund classes at reasonable minimums.

Kevin

• PQTIX has had a very good year. The managed futures funds are supposed to achieve excellent results during market downturns so it will be interesting to see how this one does, considering that it has done very well in a bull market year.