Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Shinzo Abe Wins Snap Election and Mandate.

A vote of confidence although there was very light turnout.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102265970

Comments

• I know its just the beginning of the day, but shouldn't the Nikkei rally and the yen weaken?
  • Oil prices affecting markets.
  • I also read that some had speculated on the election going poorly by selling the yen, so they are unwinding those positions and bidding the yen up a bit, which should not last long. I would think the weak oil market should be good for Japanese stocks as the weakness in energy costs more than offsets the impact of a weaker yen, but maybe that's already in the market and so today's small bounce in oil might be a drag on stocks in Japan. It does, however, seem like the market believes oil is still going lower and the stock market should account for that just as much as what's happening for oil at the moment. Anyway, I think its a good thing Abe won and with a big enough majority to secure his policies.
  • @LLJB, I agree with you. Oil is in free fall mode and it might take some sort of intervention to stop it. Somewhere, someone knows when to pull that trigger. Then the big question is will we see a hockey stick rebound.