Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• @Tampabay PFF
    Merry Christmas,
    Ted
  • I've been a fan of DGI (dividend growth investing) for about 5 years now. Frankly, I wish I had found this strategy 10 years earlier. My dad did this for decades, but who listens to their dad. This sleeve of my portfolio has been the most consistent, and top performer over the last 5 years.

You need to be selective when reviewing articles from that site (seeking alpha), but Regarded Solutions seems to consistently present solid items for consideration. Not surprisingly, I have many of the stocks mentioned.
  • Another approach along the same line:

http://project3million.blogspot.com
  • For non-stock buyers VYM (ETF) will get you most of heavy head Div. Payers and 3% yield
  • Some more for non-stock buyers: SCHD, VDIGX, AVEDX, PRDGX, and for foreign stocks, PID.
  • About VYM, 2.68% is not 3.00% and how they can call this a high dividend yield fund is beyond me.
  • in any event, the DGI guys over on seeking alpha spend about 33.33% of their time proving -- or at least attempting to prove -- that investing in OEFs in no way even approximates buying and benefiting from individual, blue-chip stocks. on and on they go, with no end in sight. they do tend to get on their high horses!
  • Oh MARK I didn't realize VYM was a "fund", you will probably find it under ETFs, a different animal:

but some figures you can look over, I think the yield for S&P is around 2% or less, so pick you poison
    VYM (Price)
    0.32 3.39 0.16 3.05 14.13 16.39 20.50 16.35 — —
    S&P 500 TR USD (Price)
    0.46 3.44 1.25 3.52 14.28 16.79 22.37 15.85 7.89 4.51

linter: Seeking Alpha is just like EVERY other investment blog site in the WORLD....
    Take it for what its worth and try to pick up an idea or two
  • edited December 2014
    @tampabay - ETF, exchange-traded fund. The industry's terminology, not mine.