Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Being "cool" American

It seems to me that the kind of people who would do really cool things with money are broke because they are completely incapable of sitting still and letting something build, and the kind of people who can build great wealth are so boring and frugal that they never put the money to any fun use....... and the traits that lead to wealth accumulation generally aren’t consistent with the traditional American image of “living it up.” Tim Macleenan

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Hi Tampabay ...

I don't know too much about the above as I was taught to live within my means and if that means being frugal well so be it.

As far as making money through the capital markets our profits have been taken a third for fun, a third for taxation (split government & church) and a third to capital reserves for future investment.

This has now worked four generations within our family.

Old_Skeet
  • 1) Payments&Bills,2) Food, clothes house,cars ect 3)savings/investing, 4)fun for our family....
    Soon be NONE of#1, little of #2/3 and as much as #4 as I can stand
  • For a lot of families, #4 means high credit card bills.

@Old_Skeet, Agree. Our family was also frugal. That freed up a lot of money for education and such. There were no free handouts back then either.