Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

$100k to Invest

I have to reinvest $100k. Any ideas to spread out for say 3 or 4 fund?

Comments

• Some ideas??
  • taxable account; or is some available for a Roth or otherwise?
    What do you already hold and in what type of accounts?
  • maxed out in roth and retirement accounts, just need to reinvest in fun money
  • Hi alaska.

Couple more questions...

What's your risk tolerance? On a scale 1 to 5. 1 being Very Conservative, hate seeing even slight temporary pull backs. To, 5 being Very Aggressive, which means you're ok with 50-60% drawdowns as long is there is no permanent loss of capital ... and any decline will recover over say 4-6 years.

What's your investment time horizon? 1, 3, 5, 10, or 20 years?

Of the two, the former is probably most important. So, be as sure as humanly possible in your self assessment.

c
  • An additional thought; depending on where this money came from, if it is cash it might be a good idea to dollar cost average over a year considering where the market is at now. If this was invested money, it would help in what kind of assets the money was invested in.
  • edited January 2015
    If lazy (in the good sense), place all in AOR, AOM, or AOA, blended etfs, depending on taste in risk and volatility. Leave alone for long time.
    If chiefly speculative money and a long horizon and you likes rides, put all in FLVCX, or perhaps with a large fraction in MXXVX.
    If less speculative but still able to stand all-equity, put all in PKW.
    If even less so, all in SCHD.
    It all depends on your tastes. I mean, you could stick in all in FPACX or MAPOX and be happy, and GLRBX too. But you might want to rock out and not tell us. WEMMX for a decade would be cool, but entirely different. You have not given us enough info, as all above have noted. If enough time, I would not dca.
  • "I have to" ,
    I hate that...taxes and Death mostly..and sometimes what my Wife "suggests"
    other than that..never
    OH you mean Mutual fund investing? try Vanguard & TR price " the best they offer" hard to lose money that way, turn $100,000 to $200,000... in 10yrs +/-
  • I would suggest 40% in Vanguard total stock market or ETF 20% in a municipal bond fund (I don't know much about you but a reference to 100k as fun money suggests at least a fairly high tax bracket. Total stock market is relatively tax efficient and will make sure you are diversified . With the remaining 40% I would make a number of bets(fun of course) you think are wise) These could include sector funds like health care. very management dependent funds that have very few stocks (50 or fewer ) like Oakmark Select,funds investments in frontier market and/or hedged international funds. Note in each case if you make the wrong bet you will underperform and outperform if you are correct.
  • @alaska: SHRAX, over the last 15 years Richy Freeman have beaten the S&P 500 by 2.52%, and the Large-Cap Growth Fund Category by 3.47%. He has managed this fund since its inception in 1983.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • You are recommending a load fund with a non-low ER? Where do you get it on the cheap?
    Looks okay otherwise. Terrible dip in 08-09, took 3y to get back to zero.
    PRBLX, YACKX, FLPSX, and FCNTX all look preferable since 1983. Good comeback since the 09 depths, esp the last couple years.