Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Inflation?, job growth, low wages, da-dah-da.....

Much of this has been chewed upon, here at MFO; over the past few years.....

You, of course; will be the judge of the article and its content and validity.

Story link

Comments

• New jobs are generally lower paying unlike before. That must have something to do with the equation. The labor force is shrinking as well. How many workers have just dropped out?

The way the numbers have been figured out has changed as well. All the rules are changing in the middle of the game. Inflation? UE, etc. All of us spend much more on groceries than before. My experiences, coming back stateside each year have told me that prices have gone up substantially. I can compare from year to year compared to someone who shops every day and senses it but is not definite. I assume prices have to rise and that is normal but the prices of late are way beyond the inflation numbers plus there is that shrinkflation that hits during bad times. Packages getting smaller. It happened a lot in the 70's and early 80's. It has been going on the past several years as well.

Soon we might have a fully employed work force, much smaller than the work force of old making $12-15 an hours versus 20-25 they were making before.

Then there is automation and other technology to make production more efficient. Less workers to do the same work.
  • Count me as a Drop out
    Soon we might have a fully employed work force......NEVER
    Inflation down to TWO categories....Food and Healthcare, used to be three with Energy(now Deflation of energy) should help with your food & Healthcare insurance premiums....
    So REAL inflation.....very little..... Gov. says 1.9% , probably close or less
  • @Tampabay
    Health insurance premiums up 9.65% at this house from 2014; and deductibles very high.
    How do low energy costs help reduce health insurance premiums?

'Course we're always try'in to offset any and all cost increases, so the healthcare funds returns offset any and all insurance premium increases and deductibles.
  • Obama said lower premiums for EVERYONE in his AFFORDABLE Care ACT....there you are.....