Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Marshmallow Test

MJG
edited January 2015 in Off-Topic
Hi Guys,

The Stanford Marshmallow study has been mentioned a few times on MFO postings. The study findings have been analyzed and interpreted ad nauseum. Those interpretations do have a lesson for investors, especially very active investors who are news junkies.

The marshmallow study was invented by Stanford University professor Walter Mischel in the 1960s and has been repeated countless times. It is a longitudinal study and needs decades to fully evaluate. Its main purpose is to measure delayed gratification and its impact on future performance.

The test goes like this. A very young test subject is isolated in a sparse room. He/she is offered a sweet treat (like a marshmallow) for immediate satisfaction now, or a reward of two marshmallows 15 minutes later if the single treat is not consumed in the period when the test subject is left alone. The film record demonstrates the agony of the challenge. Here is a short representative video:

Here is a TED talk titled “Don’t Eat the Marshmallow” with some advice:

http://www.ted.com/talks/joachim_de_posada_says_don_t_eat_the_marshmallow_yet?language=en

Most children can’t resist immediate gratification (like two-thirds) and shortly eat the single sweetie. The test is not completed until decades later when the test subjects are interviewed to assess their progress and success as they mature. Many variations of the original experiment now exist and are practiced.

Those who demonstrated a higher delayed gratification threshold experience better life outcomes. To illustrate a few of these: better SAT scores, a higher percentage graduate college, they have less body fat, they enjoy a more successful marriage likelihood, and even earn more in salary terms. Great stuff! But how can an investor profit from this insight?

The solution is to use techniques that those young kids deployed when successfully resisting temptation. The kids looked away; they invented and practiced a distraction.

For an investor an equivalent lackadaisical attitude is needed. We should avoid an addiction to daily market news programs. We need not be victimized by faulty financial writers or their often flawed analyses. We might consider completely ignoring the forecasters since history shows that forecasters can’t forecast. Their record is a coin-toss.

Often, famous sayings can be discovered that have two polar contradictory wings. Investing aphorisms are no exception. For example: “Don’t just stand there, do something” has its polar opposite in “Don’t just do something, stand there”. Both offer wise advice sometimes, but are dependent upon goals, circumstances, and other factors.

We investors are easy targets for an overreaction bias. Discipline to sort carefully and to walk away are essential elements. Self-discipline and patience are frequently amply rewarded in the marketplace. It’s easy to say but hard to execute. I try.

I was prompted to submit this off-topic post to add a little humor to a stressful world and investment environment. I hope you find this post worth your invested time, at least in terms of some fun. The kids in the videos are terrific. Your comments are always welcomed.

Best Regards.

Comments

• Amscot made a business from this very impulse
  • Hi Tampabay,

Thank you for your response. But I'm a bit baffled.

I don't understand the relevancy of your comment, most likely because I'm completely unfamiliar with Amscot. I don't know the origanization whatsoever.

Please tell us the Amscot story. I'm sure it is fascinating. I'm equally sure that you will tell the story in a colorful and controversial manner!

We MFOers eagerly anticipate your reply. Please do so.

Best Wishes.
  • Its funny because my wife calls this a bribe. When I want my kids to eat stuff that's good for them, I tempt them with a treat. If you eat the vegetables then we'll be able to have some dessert. It seems pretty much the same as if you don't eat the marshmallow for 15 minutes then you can have 2. In any event, based on this comparison I'm confident my kids are going to turn out great!! :)

Aside from that I think its great advice- along the lines of David's commentary a few months ago when he suggested more information doesn't necessarily lead to more knowledge or better decisions.
  • Amscot's main business, I'll give you cash today, if you payback *80% (guess) interest when you get your paycheck on FRiday, If you don't pay on Fri. your new rate will be 800%...thats not marshmellows but at least you get your Instant Gratification (cash) and Amscot has a good business....Sorry I'm more business oriented than little kid stories.....but I'll be careful and try to relate more to the postings
  • edited January 2015
    According to Wiki, Amscot is a Florida based company located, you guessed it, in Tampa Fl.

Outside of Florida it is an unknown business