Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Why Bottom Up Investing is Superior to Top Down

edited January 2015 in Off-Topic
This is an informative article on the difference between these two investing ideas and why one is better than the other.

http://m.theepochtimes.com/n3/1193627-why-bottom-up-investing-is-superior-to-top-down/

Comments

• Thanks JohnChisum,

I found this to be interesting reading ...

Old_Skeet
  • Thanks @Old_Skeet.

I see these phrases used a lot in sales promotions. they come across as gimmicks to me anyway. It's not too often we see someone tie these phrases to an actual process.
  • I worry that "bottoms-up" can be hugely subjective...and subject to as much speculation as "top-down."
  • It seems to me, and I think it was even said in the article, that most investors end up with a combination of top-down and bottom-up. I do give some credence to the 5 year record when I'm doing my research so the point in the article about the best 5 year records usually being bottom-up guys, but I think if you really want to compare you have to look at market cycles.