Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Turbotax pricing

msf
edited December 2011 in Off-Topic
So far, it seems the cheapest way to get Federal+State (at least that I can access) seems to be Costco - they have a $10 off coupon (Jan 5 - Jan 29), which brings the boxed Deluxe version down to $39.79 + tax. That seems to beat online Fed basic ($14.95) + state ($27.70) after 25% discount offered by various brokers and fund families. It may be possible to get this for less or free, e.g. Vanguard provides Flagship ($1M) customers free online Deluxe turbotax.

(Note: Costco's version is often slightly different from the standard version - I think it may come with less "free" stuff from Intuit and/or the Intuit contact mechanism is a little different - but it's been so long since I've done a detailed comparison I'm very fuzzy on this.)

I much prefer to have the software (and especially the data) on my machine and not in the cloud, so even if the Deluxe CD cost a couple of dollars more than the online version, I'd still prefer it.

Comments

• I tend to forget Turbotax's free online 1040EZ; coupled with their state form for this version at $20.95, that comes out cheapest. Intuit says that this free version handles both the 1040EZ (which couldn't be used for mutual fund investors, as funds generate dividends) and "simple" returns, whatever that means. Seems to handle dividends, capital gains, etc. so I don't know what it's leaving out.
  • I agree, I do use the actual software for avoiding direct exposure but then again if you are submitting online, your tax forms are transmitted to Intuit. I don't know how much and how long Intuit stores the data in this process (hopefully a short while).

Still, using the actual software on your PC reduces the potential attack vector.
  • beebee
    edited January 2012
    Since most of us here have investments, would Turbo Tax Premier be a better choice? I'm not sure if I can get away with just the deluxe version.

Most states have free e-file directly at the state website.

Also, buying the Costco "hard copy" provides (5) free e-file to the Feds and additional (1) state e-file (if one would need it). Family members /Friends might do better sharing the "hard copy" since there are five free e-file verses having to pay individually for the online option which provides 1 free Fed e-file.
  • Regarding bee's comments, I haven't found a way to avoid 'Premier' version in order to deal with investments. Anyone know if that is correct or will 'Deluxe' handle as well?

It appears that Costco and Amazon are matching prices, not including the $10 Costco coupon.
  • Reply to @bee: I personally use Turbo Tax Deluxe which I have found sufficient for my needs. I think Intuit is (perhaps intentionally) somewhat vague in their descriptions what what additional functionality to upsell the more expensive product.
  • Reply to @Investor:
    I agree. They have to have all the forms regardless of version, and except for one year when I experimented with the Home and Business edition, have never gone above the Deluxe version. Without going into my reasons for trying out that version, suffice to say that I found nothing that provided me additional help with investments beyond what I'd used in Deluxe.

Show me some software that will handle all the idiosyncrasies of bond investments (return of principal, OID, market discount, de minimus gain, etc.) and I'll be impressed. If it doesn't do that, then I'm handling my own investment calculations anyway.

Turbotax Unable to handle market discount: http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Investment-Income/Unable-to-report-Market-Discount-Bonds-in-TurboTax/SLN45852.html

• I've been having CPA do all our tax filings since I had enough trouble just learning about investing. So I don't know anything about these tax programs. Does TurboTax (or similar) actually calculate gains/losses that they obtain from the actual sites, or do they just calculate based upon whatever data entries you make? Probably not clear question, but how about.... how easy is this to set up, how time consuming to maintain, and what are main advantages in using this program?
  • Reply to @Anonymous:

Hey JimH,

This was more of a question than a comment. I have bounced around from year to year with these different versions.

Investor and msf make good points. I'll utilize Deluxe this year.
  • edited January 2012
    Reply to @CathyG:

The main advantage of the program is walking you through an interactive, relatively easy to use question, answer session to fill various forms and submit electronically. It costs cheaper than hiring a CPA. It is a significant step up from figuring out which tax forms to use and filling them manually. Unless your tax situation is very complex, most people could actually save money by going through Turbo tax first.

However, given your situation with various trusts and inheritence etc. I would also hire a CPA to do the taxes.

Since tax laws change every year, there is a new version of Turbo Tax to use (purchase) every year. It can import W-2 data and financial data from various sites and programs (Quicken, GainsKeeper, etc) to automate data entry.

• Several years ago, in going from one year to the next on Turbo Tax, some of the info passed forward really messed up my taxes. I couldn't seem to get any resolution from the Turbo Tax people and dropped them in favor of a real live local tax expert----my taxes are relatively simple and tax preparation fees reasonable. A good outcome for me. Happy New Year everyone, Abby
  • Reply to @Investor: Thanks for the follow-up, Investor. Sounds worth checking out next year, when this year's trusts, etc. are all finished tax-wise. Quicken and GainsKeeper also at least worth my looking at.... guess I haven't before because I was afraid I would be adding even more hours to my daily/weekly schedule (after I went through the learning process for each).
  • edited January 2012
    good morning everyone, happy new yr
    I use turbo tax and usually buy it from MFO/FA amazon linkage last year. I find it very easy to use, we have the small bussiness/home version, cost ~ 80$$s/program. It's nice because I share this with my brother and my mom, you can efile I believe total of 4 taxes/disc which my mom and brother does. but if I do the tax, I CAN save as many versions as desired and mail it via mail [takes a little longer but it's better for our family because we always have to pay more so deferring payment is good for us:) ].....also if you have vanguard, ejones, and most trading/investment account, it does it online/efiling connections for you with ease [just need sign in w/ each firm to link to turbotax] and it takes only few seconds - minute for each firm/account that you have...really simple. I find form 99 also easy to fill out if you own invesments overseas/canada [i.e. EVEP and DBA stock]

• Reply to @Anonymous: This is the online (i.e. web) version. Not the one that you install on your own PC.
  • Investor, see my other post. It's cheaper too!
  • An unhappy correction to one of the posts above - neither the Costco version nor the regular (non-Costco) Deluxe version comes with any state e-Files.

From the back of the Costco Turbotax boxes:
    Includes 1 State product via download (Print for free or e-file for $19.95 per return)

Intuit's description of the regular Deluxe version conveys the same message:
    $59.99 Federal and State, Free federal efile included. Footnote: Additional fees apply for efiling state returns ($19.95). State e-file is an additional fee.

All versions point out that the state e-file fee does not apply in NYS.
  • There is a 25% discount if you have a Vanguard account and go through Vanguard.