Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bond Funds

edited January 2012 in Technical Questions
Should Vanguard intermediate Bond Fund hold up in 2012?

Comments

• vipsx yr to date in 2011, +13%.............what does 2012 look like?
  • edited January 2012
    You might get more responses in the Fund Discussions Category.

Edit your original post and choose fund discussions instead of technical discussions from the drop down box. This will move it into the correct category.

If you put the ticker in caps VIPSX then users can click on it.
    Although VIPSX refers to Vanguard Inflation Protected Securities.
  • edited January 2012
    Howdy spunky,

If this is a large % holding of your totals, you may choose to watch it more carefully; but if it is a 5% or less of a mix of other bond funds or a balance to a larger % of equity funds, I would not be concerned at this point in time going into 2012. The appreciation of this holding for you is related to when you purchased the fund. In the event these type of bonds start to move in the other direction, an option would be to sell some of the holding, or at least the portion that is profit and hold the original purchase amount.
    We hold two TIPS funds at this time, and find no reason to look at a sell, moving into 2012. But, we will continue to monitor the action.

Addendum: I wrote the above with the presumption you already own this fund. If not, are you considering a purchase: and with what other bond funds, as some bond funds include TIPS as a holding?

Welcome to MFO.

Regards,
    Catch
  • edited January 2012
    Hi Catch. From this I think I will do better in bonds. I shall dump MIDSX today and put the leftovers in VIPSX. At 13%, It's going to take three years to make up what MIDSX cost in one. Congratulations to you on another winning year. As for me, you can lead a horse to water but they won't always drink:(
  • edited January 2012
    Hi Mindy,

Now, a trader I am not; but you may want to consider holding off on selling all of MIDSX today; and perhaps not sell at all. Yes, this could all change before day's end or be poop for the rest of the week/month. But, as of 11:00 am, Tuesday; gold and metals funds are finding favor. MIDSX was up nicely on Dec 30 and I would suspect a +3% today, if nothing changes from right now. I know this (selling) is likely more difficult than buying a fund; and especially after being patient and getting banged on the head one too many times.
    You may check these through Falcon's Eye here or your favorite place on the net. These will all display real-time give or take 15 minutes delay. These tickers will give a few clues through the day for the metal funds and TIPS related funds.

LTPZ
    STPZ
    TIP
    GDX

One difference that may work for our holdings, versus where your funds are parked, is that ours are not in taxable accts; so we are not concerned about the tax issue of buys/sells at this time.

It is indeed interesting to find the wide variance in returns among the metals funds for 2011.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/data?pid=invest_mutualfunds&Sector=819&ListBy=YTD&Term=1&From=1

Thank you for the kind note regarding our returns in 2011. Although of no real total value, we do measure our returns against about 1,300 balanced funds and found our 2011 return to place the portfolio in the upper 5% of the group.

Well, anyway; take a look at the tickers posted above and scratch your head some more; not unlike I am doing at this house.

Take care,
    Catch