Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Please Help Me Figure Calculation Problem Dividends

edited January 2012 in Fund Discussions
I must not only be having a senior moment, I've been having a senior hour.. my mind is now mush and I'm not making sense of any of this.

I am trying to understand why there is such a large discrepancy between M* and Scottrade on dividend payout of a fund - and where M* could have obtained their figures. All my other mf investments' dividends match almost exactly between M* and Scottrade, so M* seems to be very accurate in auto adding these.

The fund is ADBLX. As of 12/29/11, I had 467.847 shares, showing NAV of $10.52, making total of $4921.75. I made no purchases or sales in December. On 12/29/11, ADBLX distributed 0.0153 Short term gain and 0.0504 Dividend Income.

M* shows that dividend amount as 14.9692 shares at 10.47 per share, for a total of $156.73 added.

Scottrade shows two entries, one for .050 (showing 467.163 shares in error), which shows 2.249 shares reinvested at 10.47/share (this adding $23.55), and
one for .015 on 469.412 shares, which shows 0.683 shares reinvested at 10.47/share (this adding $7.15), or a total of $30.70 added for this dividend by Scottrade.

If it doesn't take up too much time for you, could someone help me figure out this discrepancy?

Comments

• edited January 2012
    How many shares did you have on Dec.28??? Is M* showing you a total dividend distribution for the year summed up or just the December distribution?

Scottrade looks to be correct for the monthly distribution. assuming M* dividend distribution is correct on this page.http://quote.morningstar.com/fund/f.aspx?t=ADBLX

number of shares on dec 28 * .0657 = amount to reinvest.

amount to reinvest / nav = number of shares.

Yahoo historical prices shows the nav to be $10.52 on Dec. 29 (said reinvestment date).
    but Google Historical prices shows the nav to be $10.47 on Dec. 29. so what, have we learned Google historical prices seem to be more accurate at the end of the year. (and I'm not talking adjusted prices).

roughly if you had 467.847 shares

467.847 * .0657 = $30.74 to reinvest.

$30.74 / 10.47 = 2.94 shares purchased.
  • Reply to @Accipiter: THANKS SO MUCH, Accipiter! This was driving me crazy

I had the 467.847 shares mentioned above, so am glad ST's figures are correct. I wonder what happened to M*s figures? They do show the $156.73 added as a SEPARATE entry on 12-29-11.
  • Reply to @Accipiter: Thanks for the follow-up... I didn't have this link logged yet. This really was a simple problem I knew how to calculate easily before. It was just one of those nights where I was so tired that I couldn't think straight. I've been spending half my time every night just trying to fix Estate problems my sister has been causing, so brain maxed out lately.