Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

TurboTax stopped processing state tax returns!!!!

TurboTax stopped processing state tax returns after noticing an increase in suspicious filings, the company said Friday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/get-there/wp/2015/02/06/turbotax-stops-processing-state-returns-amid-fraud/

Comments

• I assume the ban applies to electronic filing of state tax returns. I have always printed my MI return and mailed it because of the exorbitant fee charged by TurboTax.
  • Good grief.
  • edited February 2015
    I ecco Charles' "good grief" re Turbo. Just nuts.

I'm still battling my "suspicious" purchase of a pair of shoes in NY a month ago. Learned today that the debit card from a local bank that I used (successfully) for the shoe purchase was later "frozen" by the issuing bank until they can send me a new one and go through reactivation procedures (on account of my using it out of state without calling them first). So, can't currently access my own money with the card.

Meanwhile, the real crooks walk away with troves of unsecured data ranging from social security numbers to birth dates to previous employers, etc.

I'm getting desperate re: our frequent travel and the inability to trust these cards will work. Hate to carry cash, but don't like having to call banks in advance either. Anybody using "Apple Pay" on their cell? Perhaps that's a way around this issue.

Here's the old thread from a month ago if anybody missed it back than.
    http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/18168/when-your-credit-card-charge-is-denied#latest

• edited February 2015
    hank said:

I ecco Charles' "good grief" re Turbo. Just nuts.

I'm still battling my "suspicious" purchase of a pair of shoes in NY a month ago. Learned today that the debit card from a local bank that I used (successfully) for the shoe purchase was later "frozen" by the issuing bank until they can send me a new one and go through reactivation procedures (on account of my using it out of state without calling them first). So, can't currently access my own money with the card.

Meanwhile, the real crooks walk away with troves of unsecured data ranging from social security numbers to birth dates to previous employers, etc.

I'm getting desperate re: our frequent travel and the inability to trust these cards will work. Hate to carry cash, but don't like having to call banks in advance either. Anybody using "Apple Pay" on their cell? Perhaps that's a way around this issue.

Here's the old thread from a month ago if anybody missed it back than.
    http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/18168/when-your-credit-card-charge-is-denied#latest

Apple Pay (and Google Wallet) are more secure. Google Wallet doesn't involve fingerprint,but when you use Google Wallet, you are using a master Mastercard, then your card is charged, so your card is not charged at pos. Apple Pay also has the tokens (http://www.pymnts.com/news/2014/visa-and-mastercard-bank-on-apple-pay-tokens/)

I use Google Wallet when I can. More and more places with NFC-enabled pos.

This country is taking for freaking ever on upgrading credit cards to EMV cards and away from mag strip cards.
  • edited February 2015

Thank you Scott. Sorry - Missed your reference to Google Wallet earlier. Yes. Probably would work for us. Next concern - how much personal data do we want to give to Google?

-----

SORRY to have hijacked the Turbo Tax Thread.

I'll try to squalch my off topic diversion. Carry on tax people!

• That is the million dollar question. There is no card to steal with Apple Pay so that is one advantage. The fingerprint/thumbprint is the latest security feature until that gets hacked somehow. Tokenization means your actual card # is never transmitted.

While the chip cards are a stopgap solution, so many ATM s and pay machines still have mag strip technology so there needs to be backwards compatibility.

Finally, the banks do have to be cautious but they are going to the extreme by denying payments on any little action they deem as suspicious. Their computers are set to trigger alerts on the slightest quirk. Each year I call my bank and give them a synopsis of the year to follow. So far we have not had any problems. I am knocking on wood though.
  • edited February 2015
    TurboTax late Friday restored the ability of its software to e-file state tax returns across the USA after the company turned it off Thursday finding "an increase in suspicious filings," the company said today.
    Ref. http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2015/02/06/turbotax-state-filings-halted/22979519/

Yay!
  • Just maybe it's time to return to snail mail with say a thumb print. Safer that e-file? plus a boost for the USPS.
    Have a good weekend, Derf
  • @MFO Members: My tax attorney is laughing all the way to the bank. I haven't done my own taxes in years.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maurice said:

At some point the states and the feds will not accept a snail mail return. Might be a decade away, but the day will come.

At some point physical cash will go away, at some point there won't be a snail mail return. It's all heading in the electronic direction.
  • edited February 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The idea that a President would eliminate the use of the dollar by EO seems a bit over the edge. It will happen on its own, no need for speeding it up.