Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ruminations: 2012 positioning

edited January 2012 in Off-Topic
Positioning and re-positioning is not something I do often. I like my selections. There are some MILD self-imposed constraints connected to PREVIOUS and PRESENT fund selections. I mean that moving into an entirely different fund-house or houses is just a slight pain in the rump. These "constraints" could be easily enough ignored if I just wanted to move everything and "start clean" somewhere else.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is to keep OUT emotions. How often have we all heard that before? I must remind myself that there is nothing I have to PROVE to myself or anyone else when it comes to this investing thing. The best we can all do is to (pun warning) do due diligence and then pull the trigger.

Not being a day-trader, I take the long view, but I cannot be satisfied with just superficial macro type data. The "macro" data serves as background, a backdrop. It must not be ignored, but it is just the playing field (British "pitch") and a great many different things can happen within the boundary lines.

I still avoid the gigantic mega-fund houses like Fidelity and Vanguard. Yes, TRP, which I do own, is probably a giant mega-house as well; but I'm in there for a reason I'm satisfied with, and anyway, SOME options were not available to me just a year ago for money headed into a 403b. TRP was available. I must admit a prejudice against sheer size. I want funds that are more nimble. A few years ago, I was in RYDVX and RIVFX when they held about 6 or 7 or 8 million. Before the bubble burst and the criminally-induced financial crash happened in '08 and '09, they each grew to about 10 or 11 times that size. Their still around, but I don't own their shares anymore I was not impressed at all with the way Royce handled a couple of things with me....So it's not just dollars and cents. I need to be convinced that the people who take my money and invest it are not going to give me the run-around or just "drop the ball."

I got Asia covered, and EM bonds, through funds. I own the biggest drug company in the world, which is PFE Pfizer. I intend, in 2012, to add a balanced fund --- BERIX--- because its record shines, and it is rather conservative and steady as well as performing very well. I don't want just the latest, hottest thing coming down the pike. That same beast will go stone-cold the NEXT year. Also, a solid income-producing bond fund which is NOT into EM bonds. (I've looked at Luz Padilla's DLENX, and it is so VERY top-heavy with EM corporates that it's downright scary.)

Comments

• Howdy Max,

You noted: "I was not impressed at all with the way Royce handled a couple of things with me....So it's not just dollars and cents. I need to be convinced that the people who take my money and invest it are not going to give me the run-around or just "drop the ball."

Are you also relating this statement to Fidelity and Vanguard, too?
    Do not be mislead by Fidelity's size. I know of no one who has had any nasty experiences with them. Yes, they will surely have their days with a new employee or such. If someone I called did not have the answer, another person was found and we all discussed the situation together (the person not knowing the proper answer initially is now learning, too; yes?) Fidelity's internal pages for client accounts are very well managed and have excellent layout with lots of data, if one wants to click here or there. I may look at the total value of our accounts in a nice and neat list, fund by fund; and with one click and 2 seconds later, the page will now display a new colum indicating the gain or loss in % for any particular fund.
    I have had accts at Vanguard and find their pages decent to use; although I am more impressed with Fido. Fido also continues to place new research tools for use; as well as updated functions on account pages. Fido has never been a company to sit on its butt for customers. Fido and Vanguard may be thanked for destroying the "old" mutual fund system from the retail brokers and the 8% fees. Most of the young ones are not aware of those days.

Lastly, with our brokerage IRA's, we obviously have access to just about anything one would want; and this is aside from the 6,000 or so mutual funds in available.

Ok, off my soap box about this.

Take care,
    Catch
  • edited January 2012
    I will join Mark to state that my experience with Fidelity has been a positive one. They also a Fidelity office within 15 miles of my home so if I want I can go there and get my issue resolved with someone face to face.

Their web site is one of the better experience I've had so far. They are constantly improving the web site as well.

You do not have to have a single Fidelity mutual fund if you don't want although you would probably like a couple and fill other needs from fund supermarket. There are a lot of NTF funds. Keeping your funds in one account also provide the convenience of easy re-balancing, one statement to deal with, one company to interact. It saves you time.
  • I appreciate the input, guys. I will at least do this: to check and see if there is a Fido shop in the vicinity. I'm not in the boonies anymore, and my new town sits right along the Mass. Turnpike. I-90. Very handy, that way.I don't mind volunteering that Pittsfield is just a stone's throw away. After returning to the area, I see it's grown and become a bit prettier. Maybe Fido there? Maybe Springfield, an hour east. Yes, the convenience of one single statement appeals to me... Thank yooz both.