Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

OT: Buyer Beware?

edited January 2012 in Off-Topic
We recently purchased a lamp from a reputable online retailer, which arrived in about 3 days time. Being defective, we promptly returned it for a refund which they authorized. However, In the process, we happened to look at same lamp again on their web site and &#!* it was selling for more than 35% less than we had paid 3 days earlier and has remained at the lower price now for about a week. Yikes, that kind of a price variance in just the 3 days it took to ship our new lamp?

Coogled the subject and found that it is at least "not unheard of" for online retailers to target different consumers with different prices based on their online shopping history and other factors. Would never accuse anyone based on a single experience. Probably just bad timing on our part. But, might be worth paying a little attention to this possibility in your future online shopping.

The practice is called "dynamic pricing". 3 articles are linked if anyone interested.

http://www.13wham.com/content/news/consumer/story/Dynamic-Pricing-You-Could-Pay-Even-More-Online/I9N0TcLopE-vi-4ehEpj3A.cspx

http://www.ehow.com/about_5255769_dynamic-pricing.html

http://www.moneycrashers.com/what-is-dynamic-pricing/

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Hi hank,

This time of year, after the holidays; might it also be related to "too" much stock and/or other returns and the vendor is just trying to clear out inventory?

I would not be surprised with some of the discounting during holiday shopping and further price reductions (after the holiday period) for some stores; that they got folks into the store to shop, but have very thin margins for any profits.

Hey, ya got to get to the big city nearby and support the locals.

Regards,
    Catch
  • hello
    sorry to 'bud' in. I've use amazon many times via mfo, If I don't like the item I can call amazon back and they'll send me an email w/ free of charge stamp to mail it back.
    I think it's a win/win situation for buyer and seller

http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=mutufundobse-20
    800 201 7575
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply to @Maurice: One Amazon, some of the products are sold by 3rd parties. So, if the same product is sold by different parties they might offer different prices.
  • Reply to @johnN: There is no need to call anyone to return a product. Just from your account settings, click return and it will print the UPS return label free of charge and you arrange pickup/or drop it one of the UPS Stores nearby.
  • Some years ago I had an educational experience. Bought an electronic device (don't recall exactly, prob VCR) on line. Excellent price, lowest by far. No problems.

What I later learned about this Co. is that they had a pattern of advertising very low prices on their internet site. You buy, great transaction, so you check back next time you want to buy. Great again. Now you are a loyal customer. your "registration" -- & IP --are in their database.

Oops: next time you go shopping & bring up the site, you (actually) are shown a "different" page -- with different prices. if you are diligent, you discover that those prices aren't so hot. If you are trusting (aka: "loyal") you just order up because you think this is a great site. My impression is that they did very well with repeat customers like small office-type users who just got into being regular customers for office consumables.

I suspect things aren't quite so openly blatant these days, but I'm sure the same tactics are used, just with more sophistication.

As always in life, buyer beware....