Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

MSCFX

http://quicktake.morningstar.com/FundNet/SecFiling.aspx?symbol=MSCFX&country=USA
Anyone in this fund yet? The M* page is virtually empty, but YTD performance is HOT. Who's got the skinny on this fund? Thanks for thoughts.

Comments

• This fund started last August, has $5M in it, so you should discount short-term performance. It won't show its true colors for a couple years. That said, Mairs&Power's other funds (MPGFX growth & MAPOX balanced) have done a good job over the long haul, so this new fund has good genes. Will their largecap expertise translate to the smallcap arena? It has a different manager; what is his pedigree?
  • I called them today, forgetting the MLK holiday. Thanks, you guys. Their style suits me: low turnover, buy-and-hold.
  • Just looked that over again. Shoulda kept my mouth shut. Don't wanna scare away the fish. Hee hee.
  • You mentioned "YTD performance is HOT" -- I know you posted a couple weeks ago, but I don't see anything particularly unusual about the fund's performance so far. It is doing a little better than the Russell 2000 and about the same as TSELX (profiled this month). It is doing better than ARIVX and PVFIX (two other small cap funds profiled here) but those are both over 50% cash.

Of course it is too early (and the time period too short) to make meaningful performance comparisons, so this is just an observation.