Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Thoughts on these two Oppenheimer funds???

DAK
edited January 2012 in Fund Discussions
Owned these two funds for years in a traditional IRA. Thinking about taking all/some out and looking for other opportunities. Too much in those two funds and need more diversification. Maybe more conservative?? Oppenheimer DEV Markets FD CLASS A ODMAX and Oppenheimer INTL Small Company CL A OSMAX
These were purchased years ago as B shares that converted to A within a Simple IRA. Are these worth keeping? Wish I had the "No Alarm" fund list...

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Yikes, respectively they have returned an average of 17.5% and 15% over 10 years - though depending when your B shares converted to A, could be less. I have a little at Oppenheimer in A shares. Generally, not happy with most of their offerings, which often carry hefty ERs with mediocre performance. Their domestic Core Bond Fund made national headlines a few years back - though not in a positive light. The commodities fund QRAAX was OK when they launched it in the 90s. They closed / & completely revamped it 6-8 years ago, and it has more or less stunk since.

Two of their better funds, which I own, are: International Bond (A shares) OIBAX and Global (A shares) OPPAX . SInce you already have A shares at this house, consider these 2 funds. The two you are in are very aggressive. So, maybe your risk tolerance lies there --- not mine (-:

NO, I wouldn't pay a load to buy shares at this house. But since you already own A shares, you are entitled to exchange those into any of their other A class funds. Might work for you.

• Acccchhhhhh!!! I just wrote a long reply and LOST it. Anyway, a front-load in your IRA? NO. No way! You've done well in these funds, performance-wise, anyhow. I was looking 10 years back at Morningstar. You want diversification and something more conservative, you said. Take a look at:
    PRSVX
    OTCFX
    BERIX (balanced.)
    DODIX (bonds)
    FPACX (balanced.)
  • First of all, both funds are pretty good. They have top-notch 3 and 5-year records compared to their peers. But, yes, they do carry some risk. Since you did not indicate how much of your IRA these two holdings are, let's assume they are your total allocation to international stocks. Should you continue to hold them? ODMAX, yes for sure, since it is one of the top EM funds. Personally I do not try to fill in the style boxes when it comes to international stocks. I would rather find 2-3 really good managers a let them run with it. So you might consider something like HIINX that has been among the best for years, even with a significant manager change in the last couple of years. And PSILX has been a darned good option for those looking to own stocks from the entire international array. We use IVVYX, SGOVX, but you may not be able to access them without commissions. If so, Harbor and Price are very worthy substitutes. They would certainly be more conservative than the two Oppenheimer holdings. But I would not sell out of ODMAX. It's a keeper.