Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

IDEAS ON MY SEP-IRA/

edited January 2012 in Fund Discussions
I AM 47 YEARS OLD AND HERE ARE MY AMERITRADE SEP IRA ACCOUNT:

ARIVX-Aston River Road Independence-SV-9%
DLTNX-Doubleline Total Return-IT/BF-5%
FPACX-FPA Cresent Fund-M-20%
GNVRX-Geneva Advisors All Cap-LG-15%
RYBHX-Rydex S & P Midcap 400 Fund-MG-9%
SEQUX-Sequoia Fund-LB-13%
WPOPX-Weitz Partners III Opp.-LB-10%
YAFFX-Yacktman Focus-LV-19%

IN MY FIDELITY SEP IRA ACCOUNT:

BMPEX-Beck, Mack & Oliver Partners Fund-LB-12%
FAIRX-Fairholme-LV-18%
IVWIX-IVA Worldwide-WA-14%
JATTX-Janus Triton Fund-SG-6%
MFCFX -Marisco Flexible Capital-LG-18%
PRPFX-Permanent Portfolio-CA-8%
PYVLX-Payson Value-LV-16%
UMBMX-Scout Mid Cap-MB-8%

Comments

• Howdy,

There are many others that can better comment on your specific funds but I'm sure you've done your homework, so let's talk about some basics.

The age old rule of thumb was to subtract your age from 100 and that should be your percentage of equities. In your case, that would be 53% leaving 47% to be divided between bonds and cash - mostly bonds. Let's call it 50/40/10 or something similar. This asset allocation will change, or course, as you age, but also as your risk tolerance changes and also your time horizon (related to your age but separate).

Now, this allocation can be for the accounts in total or you can treat them as separate allocations. Being the same type of account (tax treatment), you'd normally lump them together for your allocation UNLESS you can access some specific funds in one an not the other.

As for equites, you seem very shy on international and this area is normally allocated any where from 15-40%. Keep in mind that global and international funds are different as global includes US multinats and thereby can give you less foreign exposure than intended.

You fail to mention other retirement vehicles - Roth, etc. Explore them as they will give you options in retirement. Think of your retirement as a footstool. You want to maximize the number of legs AND you want each leg to be strong. Count your legs and think of ones you might add - Roth, savings, home equity, income property, second income stream, SocSec, pension, biz equity, sons and daughters that are doctors, etc.

Lasty, from the Old Baron R. about preserving your wealth. Keep 1/3 of your wealth in securities, 1/3 in real estate and 1/3 in rare art. [define rare are as you will, but it's not beanie babies].

I'd venture to guess that most folks on this forum or any other are mostly securities with a little real estate. When I first ran my numbers I was 90/8/2 and blew chunks on my monitor. I'm about 60/25/15 now and still working on it.

Anywho, just some thoughts,

peace,

rono
  • I would suggest that the "rule of thumb" that uses your age as a determinate of how much to put in stocks and bonds is, on the surface, shortsighted. As rono said, there are a lot of factors that will influence investment decisions. The most important factor might be when you need to take money from your investment portfolio, and how much you will take. After that, your general investment profile of risk tolerance and investment goals come into play. We have clients who will NEVER need to touch their investments, except for the required distributions from retirement accounts. Some of them look at a portion of their investment portfolio as "belonging to our kids", so they would take a more aggressive approach to those dollars.

If you have not already done a lifetime cash flow projection of how long your portfolio will last, based on when you start to take money, how much you will need, and what your other sources of retirement income will be (SS, pension, etc.), you absolutely should do that. It will force you to look at how much you expect to spend in terms of what the withdrawal rate is on your investments, and that ultimately determines how long your money will last. For example, if you project a 5% growth rate on your portfolio, and your initial withdrawal is at 4% gross, with a 3% inflation factor, it may affect how your dollars are invested from a risk standpoint. Then change the input...4% growth, 5% withdrawal...and notice what happens.

Maybe you don't need to have ANY dollars in stocks. But I would suggest that your age alone is not the most important factor. If we are indeed near the end of a 30-year bull market for bonds, that has both positive and negative ramifications. Eventually higher interest rates and higher inflation rates impact your cash flow projections. What if the stock markets return a net of 0% over the next 10 years? There are just so many variables.

You own some very good mangers, but without looking at the time horizon of when you need cash, and how much, and for how long, and whether there are other sources of income, it's just a small part of the puzzle.

I don't think I answered your question at all, but I hope I gave you some things to consider.