Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Monday's S&P statement and today's market action///hank

edited May 2011 in Off-Topic
Gotta wonder how many weak hands sold Monday on the
S&P statement.

Comments

• could be the start of 'slight corrections' that's way overdue [since 2010 imho suppose to cut to 14-20% loss]..
  • What correction?
  • JPM put out a research report on the meaning/impact of rating agency cautionary statements.

Off the top of my head, for AAA-rated sovereigns, there is a less than 50% chance of a full downgrade (think it was 43%, but the n was pretty small, and 43% is still a pretty large number; so I didn't find that news particularly encouraging).

S&P takes longer to make decisions on AAA's than other ratings. Expect final word in 6-9 months. Then, expect a 6-8% correction. JPM is also calling for a rocky road over the next 6 months.

Obviously, if a second agency chimes in with a downgrade warning, the wheels can come off.

I'll post more details later if anyone's interested and if I can come locate the report.