Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Top-Down Global Growth Fund Ideas?

edited January 2012 in Fund Discussions
Was wondering if anyone had any low-turnover, top-down global growth funds they like? I can't seem to find any. I'm not sure that top-down and low-turnover are even possible together, but thought I'd inquire here. Thanks!

Comments

• There aren't many funds or families that do top down investing. Apparently managers feel it can't be done effectively, or at least they can't. A family that does do "theme based" (I'd call it top down) investing is Buffalo funds. And all their funds have low to very low turnover - proving that it is possible.

They don't have a global fund (though they used to have a fund called "USA Global" - like Fidelity's Export & Multinational, it was supposed to focus on domestic multinationals), but they do have an international fund that seems to do pretty well. Buffalo International (duh) BUFIX.

• Thanks msf! I really appreciate the suggestions. Buffalo has a lot of what I'm looking for, and may be a great fit (pending some further review of course). Thanks again for pointing it out!
  • I would take a look at MFCFX/HAFLX which uses both "top-down" and "bottom-up" approaches:

"In selecting investments for the Funds, the investment
    adviser uses an approach that combines “top-down”
    macro-economic analysis with “bottom-up” security
    selection. The “top-down” approach may take into
    consideration macro-economic factors such as, without
    limitation, interest rates, inflation, monetary policy,
    demographics, the regulatory environment, and the global
    competitive landscape. Through this “top-down” analysis,
    the investment adviser seeks to identify sectors, industries
    and companies that may benefit from the overall trends the
    investment adviser has observed."

Here are the prospectuses for MFCFX and HAFLX:

http://www.marsicofunds.com/pdf/prospectus.pdf

http://hosted.rightprospectus.com/HarborFunds/Fund.aspx?dt=SP&ts=HAFLX

Disclosure: HAFLX is one of our core funds.

Kevin
  • Dear Kevin,

I invest in MFCFX, but it did not shine during the last year, so sometimes I have second thoughts. The fact that HAFLX is one of your core funds is encouraging. Are you fully comfortable with MFCFX and HAFLX despite the short history of success of the manager?

Andrei
  • Reply to @andrei:

I am very comfortable with MFCFX/HAFLX, as this fund has had attractive Upside/Downside capture ratios, returns, standard deviations, and sharpe ratios as I detailed here:

http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSocialize/ViewPost.aspx?apptype=0&PostID=3179710

This growthy fund only lost about 4% last year, which is fine by me. And Doug Rao has a solid 5 year record at MFCFX, which is adequate by my standards.

Kevin
  • Thanks a lot for the interesting link to NewSocialize and your calculations published there!

Andrei
  • kevin,

Indeed; thank you for your thoughts, notes and links regarding this area.

Take care,

Catch

• Thanks all, I appreciate the input!
  • Artio has two international funds but not Global and they are top-down guys.
    Of course, they are not doing well in the last few years, though their record before that was excellent.