Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Blackstone CEO Schwarzman Talks Global Real Estate, Mega-Deals & More

Schwarzman makes some good points in this interview, especially on global real estate and China. A good read.

http://m.benzinga.com/article/5459378

Comments

• I think Blackstone was all about the crown jewels and it ended up being problematic as they were all about looking for those kinds of assets right into the top in 2008. They are still looking for those kinds of assets, but I think it feels like there's been more discipline put into place since the stock was obliterated in 2008. The company has become successful enough and large enough that - as has been said in this article and elsewhere - they are now kind of the "go to" when it comes to something like GE selling assets. I am not adding any further, but I've been impressed with the moves that Blackstone has made in the last several years enough that it is now a larger position than I'd imagined.
  • "it is now a larger position than I'd imagined."

That's a nice problem to have.
  • edited May 2015

"it is now a larger position than I'd imagined."

That's a nice problem to have.

Well, combination of gains but also I literally bought more than I originally imagined I would, given that I don't usually care for stocks that have displayed the level of volatility that BX has over the years.

I do kinda wish they'd announce the details of the spin-off already (ratio, etc.)

ICE (which is a very large holding) is another example, although I'm glad I added the other day as that company beat this AM.

Edited to add: I'll throw in one I bought more than I'd initially intended to and wish I hadn't - Marine Harvest (MHG), but I'm definitely not selling.
  • I would like to know also. How will the decision affect the stock or will the spinoffs be a better holding?
  • I'm holding both. I'm just curious what the ratio will be in terms of having an idea of what to expect. I believe this will be a tax-free spin-off.

"We expect that the spin-off will be tax-free to Blackstone’s common unitholders for U.S. Federal income tax purposes, except to the extent of any gain or loss recognized by a common unitholder as a result of any cash received in lieu of fractional shares. The spin-off is conditioned on, among other things, Blackstone’s receipt of an opinion of tax counsel to the effect that certain transactions in the spin-off should qualify as tax-free distributions under Section 355 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended (the “Code”), and that a certain transaction in the spin-off should qualify as a tax-free reorganization under Section 368 of the Code."

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1626115/000119312515076873/d883787dex991.htm

The spin-off (unless something has changed) is called PJT Partners.

Also, continued solid news for the company.