Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Latest Jobs Report. Lipstick On A Pig?

The markets are giddy over the 223k number released today. However the 3 month running average is less than 200k. Not impressive.

Opinions?

(As always, with a large grain of salt)
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-05-08/april-payrolls-miss-223k-march-revised-much-lower-wage-gorwth-disappoints-again

Comments

• edited May 2015
    usually my preferred breakdown: april jobs report much better but...

"Of course this was welcome news after a bad March report, which got even worse with downward revisions. Still, the positive news in this report overcame even those revisions.

The best news in the report, beyond the headline numbers, was the positive movement in the underemployment statistics... But the leading portions of the employment report are sounding an alarm..."
  • edited May 2015
    To me it seems like the reaction is "wasn't too bad wasn't too good, yay fed easy longer." If you look under the headline, not a great number in many regards but market doesn't care because market looks at everything today from the view of what does it mean for monetary policy.

I wouldn't sell anything because of today, definitely wouldn't buy anything because of today. Honestly? I kind of like investing in individual names long-term partly because of days like today. I could sit here and analyze all the day-to-day noise, but I don't want to sell any of the names I own. When investing in broader funds where I wasn't attached to the investment for a particular theme or reason, was far more concerned about the day-to-day... Maybe just me.
  • April employment number is okay and I believe the market over-reacted today. Will see what next few weeks bring.