Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

FARNX - What do we think about it now?

I know this was discussed. I felt this was a little out of Fido's area of expertise. Taking a second look at it. Anyone own it and insight now that it has been operating for a while?

Comments

• @VintageFreak: I'd rather own IJH.
    Regards,
    Ted
    FARNX:
    YTD: 3.80%
    1YR. 8.95%
    ER: 1.30%
    IJH:
    YTD: 4.93%
    !YR. 12.37%
    ER: .12%
  • edited May 2015
    I just don't have any interest in Arbitrage/Event-Driven funds right now, honestly. What's your reasoning/interest in it?
  • The newsletter Fidelity Monitor & Insight has just increased its investment in this fund. Some of the reasons they give for recommending FARNX are 1. the manager has placed all of his wealth in the fund (shows conviction); 2. the manager is only the second at Fidelity to incubate his investment thesis before launching a concept fund (Joel Tillinghast was the first and that turned out well--Low-Priced Stock fund), 3. spinoffs and restructured companies offer unique opportunities to invest in companies that are going to benefit from "unleashed entrepreneurism."

FM&I acknowledges that the fund's performance is modest so far, but they believe the unique approach will be a winner over time.

I'm going to put a little seed money in it, and see what happens.