Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

paying off student loans . off topic but worthwhile

Comments

• beebee
    edited May 2015
    When I consolidated my kids student loans I essentially merged a set of variable interest rate loans into one locked rate and one loan. June is a good time to compare what next years student loan rates are resetting to and what the potential consolidated rate would be. I've experience rate reductions of .25% for a series of on time payments as well as setting up autopay.

Always explore forgiveness programs. This usually requires the student talking with their employer's human resource department. Starting out of college and in a job that fall into these forgiveness programs might be time well spent. It usually requires a minimum of 3-5 years in that career, but Americorp and other organizations have much shorter time qualification.

finaid.org/loans/forgiveness.phtml