Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

PQIDX

edited February 2012 in Fund Discussions
I am interested in this fund because of the managers pedigree coming from Thornburg. From what I can tell, they were some of the main factors behind the success of Thornburg Investment Income Builder. I can only assume that this fund will be managed in the same manner. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Of the two former Thornburg people, Mr. Kinkelaar probably had more direct input on the Thornburg Income Builder fund. He was there 6 years. And Mr. Remily was there only a year. But I would say that Brian McMahon was and is the real team leader of TIBIX. Keep in mind that American Funds' Capital World Growth & Income is the "original" global dividend fund. Thornburg's success, I think, is that it is much smaller ($10B vs $66B), and has had stronger management. But it also really concentrates on the dividend, which American seems to have forgotten. I have no crystal ball with the new PIMCO offering, but it might have some attraction for investors looking for a Thornburg Income Builder type fund that cannot access Thornburg without a commission. Whether Kinkelaar and company are up to the task or not, PIMCOs huge resources should certainly be a help.
  • Thanks for the reply. I agree that this may be a comparable alternative to TIBAX.
  • edited February 2012
    Mr. Kinkelaar was at Thornburg for 9 years. He started there before TIBIX started in 2002. He was one of the co-founding portfolio managers of TIBIX. It was really no telling if Mr. Kinkelaar or Mr. McMahon was the real leader --- I'd have to assume both were just about equals in terms of TIBIX fund management.

Mr. Remily was at Thornburg for 5 years. Prior to that he was an equity analyst at Brandes Investments. His most recent position at Thornburg when he left was co-manager of TIBIX for about a year. Prior to co-managing TIBIX, he also managed and co-managed a number of global equity income strategies for institutional clients at Thornburg.

In addition to these 2 --- former Thornburg equity analyst Matt Burdett also joins the PQIDX team as an analyst. At Thornburg he was a global equity generalist focused on income-generating stocks.

PQIDX also added a 3rd co-manager from Pimco's Bond team (Eve Tournier) to help oversee the Fixed-income portion of the fund.

Seems pretty solid to me.