Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Any opinons on Torray Fund (TORYX) ?

edited February 2012 in Fund Discussions
Bot this years & years ago & am currently reviewing portfolio (non-tax sheltered). This fund does not seem to receive much (any?) notice around here. (As background -- about 5% of portfolio, am 77 & so far living fine without withdraws (other than RMDs) so this is pretty much nest-egg category.) Comments any one?

Comments

• Dear icyone: In my opinion Torray Fund is a run-of-the-mill LCB. Very expensive fund, that can't beat it's benchmark the S&P 500.
    Regards,
    Ted

Lipper Snapshot: http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/toryx
  • Very concentrated portfolio of only about 30-35 stocks, pretty low turnover. What's hurt TORYX has been the downside numbers. The fund prided itself on relatively low downside risk for years, but it got hammered in 2008. Traditionally owns a heavy amount of financials, so that explains a lot. I personally look at it as a large cap value fund. But even that change does not help its comparison numbers. We used this fund at one time, but sold out a few years ago because it continued to lag, and because there were (and are) better options. I don't think the fund has changed its tactics over the years, but it strategies have been hammered by the wacky markets for sure.
  • @ Ted & Bob C: Thanks for your comments, much appreciated. My resolutions for this year include streamline portfolio, gym 3X wk, and have fun. #1 is most important -- well, maybe #3, but #1 is an underlying factor.. Will report in 12 mos ;-). Actually this one has been on my kick-it? list for a while, looks like decision time. Thanks again.
  • Reply to @BobC: Did you jettison CFIMX-Clipper as well? I really want to appreciate Clipper again because it appears the new leadership since 2006 has learned some valuable (and expensive) lessons by recently repositioning with a new portfolio. OR, have the glory days for Clipper sadly passed never to return? Rick