Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Thank you for the link, scott.

YUP, to the broad message as related to investing, period.
    For those who do not understand and care not to learn; the article is also a note of caution as to those who may choose some of the very narrow focused etf's or indexes.
    Do the home work for a decent manager(s) operating an active managed mutual fund to afford some protection; be it equity or bond.

Regards,
    Catch
  • I would not even think about going near the THOUGHT of adding some of that stuff to my portfolio, cuz I'm not a pro. It's risky enough just being in the stock and bond market, period----- because Uncle Sam is steering us there by keeping interest rates at near zero. Buying a CD these days is like shooting yourself in the foot. But for the sake of safety and security, many of us must do so, REALIZING that the amount "invested" in a CD will most assuredly not keep up with inflation. It's a gambit some will take, and they can't be faulted for it.
  • In other words, "Catch," it's a CATCH-22!!!!!!!
  • I think that the warning is primarily geared towards exotic products, but I think there should be also some discussion regarding investors piling into yield-producing assets looking primarily at yield and not paying enough attention to valuation. I understand people's need to seek out yield, but the way things are, I tend to think this could certainly lead to a yield bubble to some degree.
  • related to the discussions - there are no safe havens out - smart place to put your $$
    http://www.fool.com/how-to-invest/personal-finance/savings/2012/02/07/the-only-smart-place-to-put-your-money.aspx
    personally, I rather take a little more risks and have more munis/private bonds - better yield than 0.9% annually