Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ping Skeeter or anyone else , RE: Sector investing

edited February 2012 in Off-Topic
Skeeter there is a Web site http://sumgrowth.com/default.aspx
This information was obtained thru Fund Mojo.
This site allows you to sign up for 1 or more strategies . It notifies you when you sector fund is essentially fizzling out and a different better opportunity should be taken. It gives the name of the new fund to be used and then monitors it and notifies you when it also should be sold.
Have you or anyone else used or has knowledge about this site?

Comments

• Hi prinx,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

No I have not used it or known about it. However, as soon a I write this you can bet I will be giving it a look. I'll follow it for a while and get back to you.

I have used a timming strategy offered by Invest With An Edge. I have linked it for you and others that might want information on it. It is updated every Monday.

http://investwithanedge.com/leadership-strategy

Have a great evening ... and, Good Investing.

Skeeter
  • Howdy,

I have not checked out your site but just did and it appears to be a paid service. Here is PonyExpress Bob's - it's free. This is a momentum program that he maintains that shows all funds and ETFs and ranks them by the momentum they're showing (Leaderboard). He also shows it in reverse order by which are the great dogs at any one particular time (Trailerboard). Lastly, he shows all funds by Mo within their fund families. GREAT site, but I'm not sure you should use it to buy or sell. I have always used it to help ID developing trends and those that are coming to an end. Can't speak for any of the others, but I've been a momentum investor in the school of Gary Smith "How I Invest for Living" for 15-20 years.

Oh, and Bob is an active trader that had a contest with Bill Bernstein for 5 years - active vs. passive investing. Bob not only crushed him, but beat him every single quarter.

http://customer.wcta.net/roberty/index.html

peace,

rono
  • Thanks to both Skeeter and Rono.
    Rono I have just looked at Bob's site. I would like to use the Vanguard ETF site with particular interest in the following sectors.
    Consumer Discretionary
    Consumer Staples
    Energy
    Financial
    industrials
    info technology
    materials
    pacific
    europe
    reit
    health
    utilities
    Bob's site has so many funds that you have to plow through fund after fund until you reach your funds unless you can select beforehand what you are interested in.
    For years I have been using Market watch " compare" for Mutual Funds but to the best of my knowledge there is no comparable site for ETF's on Market Watch. Is that true?
    Does anyone know of a site where you can enter more than 1 ETF to show 1 mo 3 mo 6 mo ytd results?
    I have enjoyed over the years a No load X fund subscription but I also want to try sector investing.
    Thanks again and I would appreciate any response.
    prinx
  • Hello prinx,

The below link site might be what you are looking for in respect to tracking the major sectors of the S&P 500 Index through the use of sector etfs as proxies.

http://www.sectorspdr.com/sectortracker/

I hope this helps ...

Best regards,
    Skeeter
  • Try etfreplay.com. They have reduced their free content, but it is still useful. They rank high-volume ETFs by returns and volatility. There is also a charting feature.

If you just need performance results for a handful of ETFs, you can use Morningstar, Fidelity or Business Week.