Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Hello all

edited February 2012 in Off-Topic
Hi to all the members, I'm Junior. David mentioned me in this month's issue. I will be working closely with him - and hopefully you guys - to produce a monthly "best of the web" feature. As David mentioned I am not a financial expert and I would love to have the input of the many expert and knowledgeable members here.

The first two of the five websites we intend to profile are Morningstar and Lipper (lipperweb.com). I would be grateful if members who use those sites share some of their thoughts and opinions. I can be reached at [email protected]. You can drop a message in my inbox or just post here.

Comments

• Greetings. Just as a means of looking at a quick "snapshot" of particular funds, I use www.barchart.com.

There are links to more complicated stuff to be found all over the website. It's statistical, not filled with expert opinions. Just numerical comparisons and projections.
  • Just had a look at the site. Thanks for the tip.
  • edited February 2012
    Reply to @Junior:

I occasionally use morningstar, I usually just read all the info on a particular fund I'm interested in.
    I don't look at anything specifically, just take it all in. I used to test sample portfolios and look at sector weights and geographic region specificity, I don't use that feature much anymore.

I look at lipper data when it is incorporated in other sites below:

As for other sites that people mention e.g. pony express was mentioned, and barcharts was mentioned, all of these sites plus more are listed in http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/the-navigator/.
    just enter a fund as an example and you can go to about 15 or so different web sites relating to mutual funds.
  • Thanks for the contribution.