Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Permanent ETF Focuses On Steady Performance

Comments

• will probobly be late to the party but worth watching.
  • Does this ETF contain the same holdings and in the same proportion as the permanent fund PRPFX?
    prinx
  • Reply to @prinx: It would appear that it holds different assets in an attempt to do the same strategy (metals etfs instead of physical metals, etc.) Ron, I think, put it well.
  • edited February 2012
    PRPFX and PERM have distinctly different holdings:

PRPFX: http://www.permanentportfoliofunds.com/pdfs/perm/PRPFX.pdf

PERM: http://globalxfunds.com/Investment_Case/PERM_Investment_Case.pdf

A lower cost ETF was inevitable, as the management fee for the $16.8B AUM PRPFX was a high 0.76% for a relatively static portfolio having only a 9% annual turnover. Michael Cuggino and his small staff collects a staggering $55M in management fees per year to manage this portfolio. Clearly this fund is the cash cow of the family as the other funds in the family have very small AUM -- PAGRX ($23M), PRVBX ($12.5M), and PRTBX ($33M) -- and notably these other funds have had very mediocre to poor track records. Since Mr. Cuggino is clearly not a stock picking wizard based on his underwhelming performance at PAGRX, I have concerns about his actively managing about 30% of the portfolio (U.S. & Foreign Real Estate and Natural Resource Stocks; and Aggressive Growth Stocks).

I do not own either fund, but I am closely watching PERM as a low cost, diversifying element in my portfolio.

Kevin
  • Reply to @kevindow: My concerns are likewise (add the fact that the manager has not, traditionally at least, had any investment in his fund), though a large number of folks have faith in PRPFX and have profited handsomely from their stakes in the fund.

And my interest in PERM is similar: lower cost, consistency, same underlying logic. The fund advisor's "case" for the portfolio is not compelling, but PRPFX does make part of the fund's argument for it.

I'll watch.

David
  • edited February 2012
    Reply to @kevindow: Two of the more interesting differences I noticed:

PRPFX apparently holds actual gold (coins and bullion) as opposed to PERM which will invest in ETFs. I think most permanent portfolio followers strongly advocate holding physical gold (although they would also warn against putting it all in one place).

PRPFX has 5% in Swiss francs, presumably to diversify away from the dollar. Not sure how significant this is.