Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Stern Advice: Watch for that mutual fund pop

edited February 2012 in Fund Discussions
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/09/us-column-personalfinance-idUSTRE8181G320120209?feedType=RSS&feedName=PersonalFinance&rpc=43

"Next month, something very dramatic is going to happen to most stock mutual funds. In fact, it's already started to happen.

The dramatic event is this: Those funds will hit the three-year anniversary of the nadir of the market in March 2009. And that means their three-year-return numbers will start to look amazingly good."

I've already started to notice this while researching funds, because all of a sudden, every fund's 3-year trailing return looks amazing. In other words, useless. Instead I use the growth charts on Morningstar and a period starting around 2008.

Comments

• @Claimui Yep exactly, in fact if a fund has a top 10%-20% 3-year record during this coming timeframe, in most categories you should be highly skeptical. However, this specific static "rollover" of timeframes can be useful when used with the 5 year timeframe (as the 5 year isn't far from the peak). I have a feeling my favorite managers will be more middle of the road on this 3-year and among the top still on the 5 year. Although, in analysis, I focus more on rolling averages anyway.

But definitely something people need to be aware of.

The Wall Street Ranter
  • edited February 2012
    There will always be funds suffering from this "syndrome". Sometimes quite a few, sometimes a-many. I have to laugh a little about using M* chart though. M* has made all its money licensing its "star rating" that essentially looks at performance for 3 and 5 years. Then it recommends its 2-star funds. What I want to see is some fund company touting their 2-star fund. Even after M* comes up with article they will not dare do that.

That's why buy a fund if you are comfortable with manager and hold it. Or buy index fund and trade it. That's my position. Heck sometimes I have bought and sold funds in 1 month because I know end of quarter is coming and some funds are notorious in buying their best performing stocks in an effort bid them up to make their quarterly numbers look better.