Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Investing: Follow The Boomers And Buy Health Care Stocks

Comments

• Hi Ted,
    Another fine reminder about this well run TR Price fund. We have had monies with Fidelity's Health Care fund in the past, but this is an area of which we have little exposure at this time. One may wonder, however; if any ramifications will come forth with the U.S. Supreme court case this coming March, or a change with who is in the White House in 2013?
    Take care,
    Catch
  • Regardless of what the Supreme Court decides or who is in the White House, the demand for healthcare in all its forms will continue to grow. Individual companies may be positively or negatively impacted by court rulings or politics, but a good fund manager will adjust his/her holdings accordingly. While I don't own a health care fund at the moment, I wouldn't hold off waiting to see what the SCOTUS or POTUS will do.
  • From rough memory, over past 10 (20?) years, 98% of *new* jobs created in U.S. were in health care or government, and government is tapped out. Health care is an enormous engine for economy, and I don't see that faltering in the future.
    The investing question, I think, besides the entry point, is which part of health care universe to invest in: technology, delivery, materials, systems, big pharma, little pharma (remember Genentech fever?), or a broad-based fund.