Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Usage of Alternative Investments: Survey Results

"Morningstar and Barron's ninth annual survey of perceptions and usage of alternative investments sheds some much-needed light on decisions taking place at advisory firms and intuitions. (The survey was conducted in the spring of 2015 and covered the 2014 period.) '
"The survey highlights some astonishing trends at a time when alternative flows are starting to moderate. While organic growth rates for liquid alternative mutual funds during 2014 are still larger than any other broad Morningstar Category, they were the slowest on record since 2008, at 12%. But the survey shows that advisors aren’t all doom and gloom and may be looking to allocate more into alternatives over the next couple of years. But the pace at which institutions appear to be withdrawing from alternatives does raise an eyebrow."

http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=691385&SR=Yahoo

Comments

• edited July 2015
    @Ted Oh, damn it, I actually did scan down the list, thinking it was the kind of article that would be something you would have already posted. I must have scrolled right past it. With other things needing to get done, and an unexpected dead battery problem (maybe, maybe not?); and several buzz saws revving outside the house on a 150' half-dead poplar (after begging housing development manager for a year to take it out, he hires a crew and sends them out today without the courtesy of a heads-up)....... I had a few extra distractions.:)

But I too thought it worthy of posting. Interesting that the smart money ain't buying the hype no more while it appears that "data-free" retailers are continuing to come to another Jesus for financial salvation (sigh...same as it ever was).
  • @heezsafe: I'm glad you took my comment in the spirit it was intended, I've made the same mistake myself. Have a nice day!
    Regards,
    Ted