Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Do the Gabelli funds add value for investors?

http://www.advisorperspectives.com/articles/2015/07/21/do-the-gabelli-funds-add-value-for-investors

This chart(!) is for 2 market cycles and it shows that some of the Gabellis funds do and some don't.
For example, the ones which shine are
GABAX and BAGEX (Large blend)
WESRX (Large value)
GABSX and WEMMX (small blend --- I'm very fond of WEMMX)

Page 3 of the article goes on to look at 3, 4, and 6-factor alpha (out performance after adjusting
for value tilt, cap size, etc.) and whether or not the positive alpha is statistically significant.

Unfortunately, he does not compare the outperforming funds to the same measures for the comparable DFA or index fund

Comments

• @NumbersGal: Thanks for the article! Never liked Super Mario, and althought Swedroe states in the article, his firm Buckingham Asset Management sells DFA Funds, he doesn't come will clean hands, Larry is a haystacker, passive management, through and through.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • NG, thanks much.
  • I have owned Gabelli asset GABAX fora long time .Recently results not good but my point is its about the only fund managed by Gabelli and it did outperform Not sure investing in the other funds (which did less well ) wasa good idea