Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Do You Know What's in Your Bond Funds?

The N Y Times has a few good columns today on the stock and bond markets. As for bonds, there's a front-page article reporting that mutual funds are engaging in a selling spree of emerging-market bonds, and this is contributing to a sharp decline in global markets. They are selling for good reason: their investors are withdrawing money from these funds. Last week alone, investors withdrew $2.5 billion from emerging-market bond funds.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/23/business/investors-race-to-escape-risk-in-once-booming-emerging-market-bonds.html?_r=0

And Gretchen Morgenson writes a column in which she questions the vague disclosures made by highflying mutual funds. She warns that these funds put investors in peril.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/23/business/vague-disclosures-by-highflying-mutual-funds-may-put-investors-in-peril.html

If the waters are receding (a new bear market?), then we may soon discover which fund managers have been swimming without clothes.

[Confession: I really don’t know what’s in my bond funds. I’m trusting the managers to be prudent. I hope I’m trusting the right fund families.]

Comments

• edited August 2015
    Thanks for posting as I enjoyed the read. I have much the same posture as you in that I have a certain level of trust in my fund managers. Should concerns elevate to the point where I come to have good doubt in this trust then I have an option, at my will, to leave and sell the security.
  • edited August 2015
    To the article's question: No one really knows. While both T. Rowe Price and Dodge and Cox (my major holdings) do a nice job breaking down their income fund components, I'd venture to guess they also include a few derivative instruments and also some "unrated" bonds in these funds. So you need to have a bit of faith in their in-house analysis. With these two houses my faith is considerable. But, buyer beware.

EMs have always been prone to dramatic swings between euphoria and pessimism. The really big downturns (30%+ losses) seem to happen roughly once a decade. These big setbacks, like we're witnessing now, almost invariably affect global developed markets - especially on the equity side.

EMs have their place in some people's portfolios. But I'm a bit bemused that some who would not consider mailing off a check to be deposited in some financial institution or invested in some company located in Russia, Romania or Thailand, think nothing of buying a fund with assets in these countries..