Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

PING: Investor, other Fidelity acct users.....accts page changes???

edited March 2012 in Fund Discussions
Howdy,

Ok, Fido has reworked the accounts page, eh?

So, we still have our list of funds top to bottom.

The previous version of this page would highlight (in the cream color), from left to right of a particular fund when some type of action happened with that holding. Generally, this was when a distribution had taken place. All of the cool data was also highlighted, as to the vale of the distribution, etc.
One could generally expect to find several of our funds highlighted at month end from distributions with our bond funds holdings; but every once in awhile a random distribution would show up, too. This was a very thoughtful and handy indicator to have placed for a fund.

I have checked our Fido pages to view the expected distributions at month end and do not find the friendly, old highlight for any bond funds. This was an auto feature previously. Do I have to set a function for this to now happen?

Tis a "bad" change.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Catch

Comments

• I have my accounts at Fidelity, and I still get the yellow highlight when there are distributions. I recently had that happen with my monthly distribution from LSBRX, and today I have the yellow highlight for a PEMDX distribution. I didn't change any of my settings; it just happens automatically.
  • edited March 2012
    Howdy tgeno,

Thank you for your time.

Is the layout/look of your acct page the same as a few months ago? Our acct page has a new look, top to bottom, left to right and with new header names for the columns. Also, the dropdown menus to select which functions one wants to perform for a fund are in new locations.

I did not check on Feb 28; as we should have also had a distribution showing for LSBDX, among other bond funds. I checked yesterday, Feb 29 (leap year day). Perhaps the distributions highlights were in place on Feb 28; although not the end date for Feb. this year.

Note: at the ticker symbol to the far left of the acct section, there is now a "+" symbol beside the ticker symbol. Clicking this opens a new listing to show all recent distributions. This works find, but I did not find a distribution for Feb 29, when I checked yesterday, Feb 29. Today, I find the distribution listed, with amounts and related for Feb 29. Hmmmmmmmmm.....I'll be sure to check again at the end of March.

The distributions highlight is a very nice auto-tool. Fido still has the best account page I have used for our various accts.

Catch
  • Reply to @catch22: Yes, I have the completely revamped look. It took a little getting used to, but in general I like it.
  • edited March 2012
    Hi tgeno,

Thank you.

A gloomy, no sun day here in old Michigan. A wonderful side of the internet is that one may daydream and have vicarious travel to imagine and visit other places.
    Perhaps the investment goals could fit one of these into the program.....

http://www.maryleepresentsoceanreef.calls.net/featured-properties-page?s_kwcid=TC|25033|+key%20+largo%20+florida%20+real%20+estate||S|b|17313482134

AngelFish Cay looks about right from the aerial shot.

'Course, our house has not won the big lotto yet.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Reply to @catch22: LOL. Ocean Reef is a rather rarified world unto itself; quite uptight with a fortress mentality; it is not the REAL Florida Keys. Even Jon Landau, the enormously wealthy producer of Titanic and Avatar, chose not to live there. He owns a house in Islamorada, where I live, and I'm just a poor, retired guy on fixed income.
  • edited March 2012
    Well, I prefer to be with and around the regular folks; don't need to be around any snobby types. Guess I'll have to keep looking. I'll reset my search.

Looks like the Days Inn is in the budget..............

Thanks,
    Catch
  • it's under 'unsettled cash' in the account view. Any account history will show you the actuals. i personally like the new view, except they lost the cost basis of the most labor intensive holding i had (div reinvested in taxable account). they promised to get it back.
  • Reply to @catch22: If you're thinking of coming to visit the Keys, don't limit yourself to the chains. There are great non-chain hotels, motels and B&Bs that have rates competitive to something like Days Inn. For example, I'm putting my sister up at www.islandbayresort.com in Tavernier when she comes to visit.
  • I still get those yellow highlights under new look.

I am OK with the change however other than prettiness it does not add much value.

What pissed me is the way they are calculating return. I have a roth and traditional IRA. My traditional IRA has switched to new return calculation.

Basically they used to use 0 for cost basis of dividends so return calculation would be correct return on investment. Now they actually use the real cost basis for distributions. The problem is that after dividend, most mutual funds have dropped in value so while before and after dividend the current value of your holding remains the same but cost basis increases so basically after distribution your return on investment calculated using new method is less than actual return on investment. I've complained about this but I don't think we see eye to eye with the rep. I am hoping enough people will complain.

If your account is not yet converted to this new calculation, it will at some point in 2012.
  • @investor. totally agree. this is good for taxable account, but absolutely useless for the tax-free or tax-deferred.
  • As I've written before, we also don't see eye to eye on this. I think your view (pardon me if I'm misstating or misinterpreting it), is that you'd like to see how much (percentage-wise) your original contribution(s) increased in value.

Consider a taxable account, where a single investment is made, and dividends reinvested. I don't see the question that you're asking (assuming that I've stated it correctly) is any different here: since I plunked down a pile of cash, how have I done? If this is useful information (I'm being agnostic here), then wouldn't it be just as important to have it for all accounts?

As far as taxes are concerned, Fidelity doesn't know what your traditional IRA cost basis is - how much of the contributions you deduct on your 1040 is between you and the IRS. So it cannot reliably tell you how many dollars of your traditional IRA are post tax to begin with. To further compound the problem, even if it had that information, Fidelity doesn't know what's in your non-Fidelity IRAs (if any), and the IRS aggregates all of those accounts together in determining what percentage of your total traditional IRA balance is post-tax. If you're filling out 8606's then you already have that information, and if not, 100% of the money there is pre-tax.

For that matter, Fidelity doesn't really know the cost basis of one's non-covered securities. One may have, for example, sold specific shares, and then on one's tax forms switched to average cost. (The IRS has allowed that for many years.) Fidelity has not been able to track that.

As to the general appearance - I do like the ability to see the lots from a single page instead of having to flip from page to page. (I don't rely on their cost basis, but I do need to see that their record of lots and shares/lot agree with mine. And for something quick and dirty, it saves me the trouble of flipping through spreadsheet pages.) Like most posters here, I still get the yellow bands indicating something will or has happened.

• For most part the changes (mostly the looks) are fine and I will get used to it. By the way, Vanguard is nowhere near as user friendly as Fidelity.

What is not useful at all as pointed out by Investor, fundalarm and msf, is the rate of return for tax-deferred accounts. Also is missing is the transition of each position...still adjusting.
  • Reply to @msf: I understand they did the change to comply more closely what they were doing in taxable accounts. I have no problem they keeping track of cost basis of individual distributions so for taxable lots correct amount could be reported to the IRS etc.

However, their return calculation for the overall position is nothing got to do with IRS requirements etc. They could continue to calculate the return using the old way. Obviously, they know which positions were acquired via distributions and which positions are my own original investment.

Now, I have some positions that have negative return even though my ROI is positive. They added the return tracking function to their web last year. Now it has become totally useless to me.