Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

122 things everyone should know about investing and the economy

edited September 2015 in Off-Topic
Now that was easy, eh?
I have not read all of "the things" yet; but not unlike you, I should be able to find at least 5 that will suit my own personal knowledge and emotional base. Link below for the article from December, 2014.
I do believe that much of this has been discussed at some time, here at MFO.

Other than this list; investing life is simple, and full of joy and success.

Okay, enough of my sass; and I can blame this on only one cup of coffee, very chilly morning temps in Michigan and knowing that I still have 9 months worth of chores outside and just about 2 months worth of weather permitting time.

Hey, have a pleasant day and pat yourself on the back for all of your efforts.

Catch

http://www.businessinsider.com/things-everyone-should-know-about-investing-and-the-economy-2014-12

Comments

• Thanks for the post, enjoyed the link.
    Derf
  • MJG
    edited September 2015
    Hi Guys,

Morgan Housel is a smart and perceptive financial writer. I have enjoyed and benefited from his frequent columns for several years now, and am rarely disappointed.

The original article was published in late 2014 on The Motley Fool website. Many items on his extensive 122 item list are redundant and need some minor update or revision, but much remains pertinent.

There is certainly enough material for a book. All that is needed is some organizational work to incorporate these 122 bits of wisdom into perhaps about 15 chapters starting with the economy, and including chapters on investment fraud and behavioral biases. I’m sure this will happen soon. I’m likely to buy the book when it does become a reality.

I am especially in march-step with item 109. It states that “two things make an economy grow: population growth and productivity growth. Everything else is a function of one of those two drivers.” I have been reciting that insight on the MFO Board for many years, and with a little additional data. In the USA, population growth has contributed 1% annually, and productivity enhancements have contributed 2% annually. Not too many investment writers have recognized or acknowledged this salient aspect of our meaningful growth components.

But 122 separate items are simply overwhelming to absorb and/or to implement. Most folks hit a wall when any list reaches 5 to 10 items. That’s one reason why telephone numbers are length limited. That’s the same reason why financial writers construct investment advice lists that hover around the 10 item level.

Housel did this in a recent Wall Street Journal article. His list recommended “16 Rules for Investors to Live By”. Here is a Link to that shortened list:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/16-rules-for-investors-to-live-by-1417789469

Of course, this set of rules is not unique. No set of rules is. The rules list competition is fierce. By way of comparison, you might find Sir John Templeton’s “16 Rules for Investment Success” of some value. Here is a Link to Templeton’s wisdom:

https://www.franklintempleton.com/retail/pdf/home/splash_PUB/TL_R16_1207.pdf

Templeton introduces his piece with a famous Will Rogers quote: “Don’t gamble, Buy some good stock. Hold it till it goes up…and then sell it. If it doesn’t go up, don’t buy it!” Who can argue with that wisdom? Enjoy both articles.

Best Wishes.
  • Sorry guys. This is why we have so many financial pundits. We need to take care of 122 things, so we need to pay someone else to do some or all of them for us.

Ad revenue, Ad revenue, Ad revenue....let's stop feeding the beast.

The only list I want to read is what Mr. Snowball has said all of these years. That might start making sense. Instead we get this...

Harvard professor and former Treasury Secretary Larry Summers says that "virtually everything I taught" in economics was called into question by the financial crisis

WTF do I care what Larry Summers thinks and how does the above tidbit help me as an investor? HTF I know Larry Summers is a good economist and a good teacher. These statements are self aggrandizing. Such statement automatically provide Larry Summers authority to speak. Is he not one of the people who contributed to the last financial crisis?

It is about time people stopped paying Bristol Palin thousands of dollars to teach them about abstinence. In the real world, there has to be some reality.
  • edited September 2015
    Warning --- Spoiler Alert!
    ---
    I cheated and jumped ahead to #122. It sums the whole thing up quite nicely: The village idiot can outperform the MIT rocket scientist if he simply DCAs into a low cost index fund on a regular basis ... Let her ride.

Nice try Catch. But investing is really very simple.:)
  • edited September 2015
    Hi @hank

Now, my first line in the post is: "Now that was easy, eh?"

Yes, it may be quite simple to perform nicely with an investment portfolio.

VTI and PONDX / PIMIX or your favorite bond fund, 50/50 into each and take a nap.
    3 year combo avg. = 10.15%, 5 year = 11.75% One can sleep well with these numbers, eh?

I'm sure our portfolios, at this house, will become more simple as my/our old minds continue to become more simple, too.

An excuse or idea for everyone and anyone in the list.

Take care,
    Catch