Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Place your Bets!

edited March 2012 in Off-Topic
A lot of us in the Caribbean view American Presidential politics as a top tier spectator sport. That squeaker in Iowa that Romney seemed to pull off at the bottom of the ninth with a slick curve ball (but subsequently lost when the league reviewed the tape) will live long in the memory. If I were American I suppose I would be a slightly right of center Independent. I have to admit though that I have this shameful tendency to give Ron Paul serious thought.
Another American "sport" that I love is Poker. And it seems to me that Mr Santorum is 'all in' with his ultra conservatism message. He now wants to change his bet but it's too late. I think that he has misread Romney's poker face. The thing is that Romney is incapable of bluffing, he trips himself up when he tries. His hand is so strong though that he can afford to be almost transparent and still win. Therefore I am calling it now. Romney vs Obama for the World Political Heavyweight Championships.

Comments

• edited March 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Only in America . But those numbers are looking pretty good for Romney
  • IEM? this is Bizarro-world. American politics has become the Right (Dems.) vs. the Extreme Nutjob Right (Repubs.) The ones who represent me are Bernie Sanders and Dennis Kucinich. But I live neither in VT nor OH. Pity. The whole political discussion and the coverage which the media give to it is all meaningless froth. It has ZERO connection to where I'm at. And I keep hearing that I have no right to complain if I won't vote. But what if voting for Candidate A or Candidate B is a matter of choosing between two different poisons? We are all screwed. The system is not working. It is dysfunctional. And by the way: corporations are NOT people. What an ugly mess we're in.
  • Reply to @MaxBialystock: Corporations are above humans now.

Supreme court decided when it comes to free speech, corporations are humans. But when it comes to suing corporations for human rights violations abroad, corporations are not human and thus not liable (but individuals can). See the latest supreme court decision.

http://www.ivpressonline.com/news/la-na-court-torture-20120229,0,5026669.story
  • Hmm that supreme court position on human rights when compared to it position on free speech seems a bit contradictory no? I am a person when you violate me by seeking to restrict my free speech, but I am not a person when I violate you? So strange.
  • I just read this article about Intrade where political bets are made:

http://www.businessweek.com/printer/articles/10315-intrade-where-politics-meets-the-market