Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited March 2012
    I'm halfway through Michael Lewis's recent book "Boomerang: Travels in the new third world." So far the book has a chapter on Iceland and another on Greece. It is a hilarious read where he relates his investigations on the crises affecting these two countries. If it was a fiction book, and you were asleep thru 2002-present, you would say, no way, no country could possibly do these things. But then again, it is non-fiction ... This book is a little lighter and more comedic in the writing style than the "The Big Short", but every bit as good. Based on only being halfway thru it, I'd highly recommend it.

http://www.npr.org/2011/10/04/140948138/how-the-financial-crisis-created-a-new-third-world
  • I think it is a dumb idea. Currency should be able to adapt to economic conditions. We have seen what happens if this adjustment cannot take place. This is exactly the problem in Greece.
  • Scott: Must be a slow news day at ZeroHedge.Com. Iceland adopts the loonie, nobody cares.
    Ted
  • It's still interesting news nonetheless, a country adopting another country's currency. Oh I forgot - if it doesn't affect or have anything to do with the US it's considered boring news.

• Reply to @Kenster1_GlobalValue:

you beat me to it. I would have echoed your reply.
  • Reply to @Ted: In related news, nobody seems to care about the ruble or peso either. CurrencyShares FXRU and FXM will close March 23.