Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Open thread: buying/selling/ideas?

edited March 2012 in Fund Discussions
Just thought I'd start an open discussion for the weekend for sharing ideas/thoughts - what is anyone selling/buying, thinking about selling/buying. Ideas, etc.

I bought a little Canadian Natural Resources (CNQ), a wee bit of China Energy (CHIE), sold Salient MLP Energy and Infrastructure (SMF) and added to AQR Risk Parity (AQRNX). Thinking about Sony (SNE) and waiting for a pullback to add to DEM (Emerging Markets Income)

Comments

• I bought some AQRNX in my IRA. I also bought MACSX in my IRA.
  • I have been reducing my diversified equity ballast section of my portfolio during the past month or so.

With the run up in equity valuations since the first part of October, with some indices gaining better than 20%, my equity allocation had grown to about 63% to 64% of the portfolio. With this, I am now in the process of trimming my equity allocation back and raising cash by a like amount. Currently, my equities are now back of 60%. From my perspective, I feel this is prudent for more than one reason. One, I feel equities are now starting to top out as they approach fair value, and, two, a change in their trend direction can occur quickly given the outcome of some current world events hanging over our heads. And, a third reason, I feel this being a presidential election year political wrangling is soon to start in Washington; and, this will no doubt from my thoughts have a negative effect equity valuations. Since no one knows for certain if and when these events will/might occur and what the effects of these events will have on equity valuations ... I have chosen to average out of my equity ballast positions thus reducing my exposure to equities at about the rate of 1 to 2 percent per week until I have reached an allocation I feel more comfortable with.

If history repeats and equities make a pull back as I anticipate ... I'll then have a good cash position to take advantage of this anticipated pull back in which I’ll do a little buying raising my equity allocation. I’ll then ride this anticipated rebounding equity trend train upwards. As equities appreciate and approach their fair value, perhaps peaking, I’ll sell some off. Then, I’ll wait for the next set up … and, then start the process over. This is one of the ways I make spiff money for my pocket.

It seems form what I have been reading in some articles and on investment boards I post on … Many investors have been selling into the recent stock market rally as I have. Perhaps, more investors plan to utilize this simple strategy than I vision. Remember, strategies work until they don’t work any longer … and, this is why it is important to keep any strategy that you may employee limited to a small part of your overall portfolio. In addition, it is most important to invest within your own tolerance for risk.

Good Luck with you own investing endeavors ... and, I wish you ... Good Investing.

Skeeter
  • MSCFX Mairs & Power small-cap. I note Russell 2000 and small-caps taking a beating the last couple (few?) days. Also, MAINX: to use as a destination for money pulled from MAPIX. Way too much overweight in MAPIX.
  • edited March 2012
    Reply to @Anonymous: I'm usually not in cash but have been increasingly moving in that direction. While many have predicted a continued rise due to election year, etc, that's not always the case. Additionally, geopolitical issues (Iran, China, Russia) could become a serious issue. I primarily sold a number of smaller-mid sized satellite positions, such as the SOIL and BRAQ etfs.

Looking long term/over the horizon, I do believe there will be considerable inflation and I do want to be in stocks (especially some specific sectors.) That said, I just think the market feels way too complacent. Retail money may move out of fixed income into stocks, but I don't know - I think a lot of people in fixed income are in fixed income.

There was a line in David's commentary about how the long bond would do if interest rates normalize - I'd be curious if 100 average investors (people who don't do a lot of research and essentially "check boxes" on their 401k, not that I'm saying anything against it, but just saying people who don't research their investments in detail) were polled as to whether they were aware if that would be the result if interest rates normalize or not.

Essentially, if people were told this: " Tim Krochuk of GRT Capital Partners volunteers the same observation in a conversation this week. “If rates return to normal – 4 or 5% – holders of long bonds are going to lose 40 – 50%. If you thought that a 40% stock market fall led to blood in the streets, wait until you see what happens after a hit that big in retirees’ ‘safe’ portfolios.” Folks from Roger Ibbotson to Teresa Kong have, this week, shared similar concerns."

How many would go, "But I thought bonds were safe?"

So, I do want to be in equities (funds, stocks, etfs, whatever), but I do think there will be better opportunities.
  • I sold some PRHSX and increased my position in EEM. Moved out of SPY and into IJH. Bought some more Mission Energy 6/15/16/ 7.50% bonds.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Reply to @MaxBialystock: MAINX still is Asia, though.
  • Recently started to reduce bond funds (MWTRX LSBRX) and put money into PGDIX. This fund holds HY bonds, but diversifies into other assets (scott, i think you mentioned you owned a little of this?). Also moved money I had in a guaranteed fixed income fund (fund was dissolved) to RPSIX. Again I went for more diversification then the standard total return bond fund.

Bought some PRLAX back in January. Been a winner so far.
  • Initiated a position in MAINX. Added to MAPIX and PEMDX. Bought T, VOD and FHY. Added to NLY. Have sold nothing and still sitting on over 25% cash, so I have plenty of dry powder waiting for a pullback.
  • I tend to move really slowly in realigning my portfolio. Among the things I could imagine doing:

1. noticeably increasing my allocation to River Park Short-Term High Yield (RPHYX). The rationale is that I'm way low on "cash" in my non-retirement portfolio because I used a chunk (returning 0%) to eliminate debt (3.5%) and cover an unexpected household expense.

2. liquidating my Matthews Asian Growth & Income (MACSX) position and reallocating to Matthews Asia Strategic Income (MAINX) and Seafarer Overseas Growth & Income (SIGIX). That would be hard for me, given my happy history with MACSX but it would open two new opportunity sets and still keep me in my comfort zone (Matthews + Foster).

3. liquidating Leuthold Global (GLBLX) and moving the money into Vanguard STAR (VGSTX) or Northern Global Tactical Asset Allocation (BBALX). Since inception, Leuthold has substantially beaten Morningstar's "world allocation" peer group but has trailed both of the two alternatives. It's a little more volatile and a lot more expensive but it also has theoretically greater flexibility than either of the other two. Much of the lag occurred in the six months after launch (in the midst of the meltdown) when the other two had a structural stake in Treasury bonds. I could move the money into another core holding, FPA Crescent (FPACX), though that does increase my exposure to manager risk. Romick has been excellent for me.

Just pondering,

David
  • Reply to @MikeM: I do own a little of PGDIX (although a different share class.) I'd like to add more at some point soon, but I guess my one concern is that I do think MLPs (which admittedly are not a huge part of the fund) are overbought. Higher yielding assets (whether it be MLPs or something like high yielding tobacco stocks like MO) have gained such interest (understandably to some degree) that I'd like to see a pullback.
  • In my market timing account, I sold all of RYVYX. I put 2/3 into cash and 1/3 (so far) into RYIRX. The overlays and indicators that I use all show a downtrend starting in the Russell 2000.
  • Reply to @scott: Hi Scott. I agree with your assessment on MLP's and dividend stocks. I'm thinking of this as more of a long term holding that given the mix, will hold it's own in most economic ups and downs. I figured it should keep pace then the total return bond funds I traded to buy PGDIX and hopefully hold up better as inflation kicks in. Time will tell.
  • edited March 2012
    Reply to @MikeM: I completely agree - I do think PGDIX is a fine holding that will likely hold up better if/when inflation becomes worse.

I love MLPs, I just look at a number of individual companies and think they've not only done really well, but have leaped over fundamentals because people are looking for dividends. I do have a fairly large holding in Brookfield Infrastructure Partners and am not selling that, largely because there is nothing like it and while it is an overbought MLP, it really is something that I do consider a long-term holding.

I am also considering a *small* position in TTO, which is a unique, largely private MLP fund *right now*. It trades at a continually large discount due to the fact that it is largely private equity (30% public currently, the rest private.) It can also hold real assets and started with a large power transmission project.

It is planning to eventually turn into a REIT and appears to be moving focus towards more actual, specific energy infrastructure investments. "“We intend to seek acquisitions of infrastructure assets with long lives, subject to contracts that generate stable cash flows, operated by experienced management teams,” Green said in a release." So, this would appear to be intending to become a Brookfield Infrastructure Partners-like entity down the road. This is the new sub-manager (http://www.corridortrust.com/strategy - "Corridor InfraTrust intends to manage REITs that acquire infrastructure assets. ") Additionally, the idea of an infrastructure REIT (instead of an MLP in terms of tax issues) is highly appealing.

As for MLPs, as a more standard fund, I greatly like Salient MLP Energy and Infrastructure (SMF), but I sold it largely because it had run quite a bit and given what I was seeing in terms of MLPs as a whole, taking profit seemed reasonable. If I was looking for a standard MLP fund, however, I would certainly go to that first.

CVY and HGI are also multi-asset ETFs that hold MLPs.
  • edited March 2012
    Sold a short term (2 month) position in VGT, Vanguard's tech ETF, and a longer term position in a clone of VEXAX (small-mid index) in the 401k. Also reduced muni exposure a bit and added to PTTRX (Pimco Total Return: the fund, not the ETF).

Also added to MACSX, Matthews Asian Gro & Inc; in three months or so, plan to revisit the new Foster fund SFGIX and consider whether to move the MACSX $ there. I already have a big chunk in MAPIX (Matthews Asia Dividend) and a smaller position in MAPTX (Matthews Pacific Tiger).

I have ~ 16% cash, and on a pullback, I'd add to Artisan Int'l Value (ARTKX), PowerShares Int'l Dividend (PID), and possibly reinvest in an EM dividend etf (probably EDIV). I've been well overweight U.S. stock, and am starting to move toward default again.

I do think the bond fears are a bit overblown - the reasoning seems to proceed from "long term Treasuries are vulnerable" (right, they are) to "therefore all bonds are suspect" (doesn't follow). I still think actively managed, diversified intermediate funds are a good investment in any climate, plus there's no guarantee there'll be a sharp break out of the malaise anytime soon. (Just IMHO.)

Good luck out there ...
  • Reply to @David_Snowball:

Hi David,

Vanguard Star (VGSTX) is a fund I suggested that my daughter invest in when she opened her first Roth IRA. I would really like to encourage her to understand its place in an overall diversified portfolio. Have you come across any linked articles that highlight this fund?

Also, thanks for all your tireless work on this site.
  • Reply to @Ted:

Hi Ted,

Wondering what your reasons were for selling PRHSX? I own this fund as well as VGHCX.

Also, do individual bonds play a very large role in you portfolio? I recall over the years that you have been an investor who often holds individual bonds. What role do they play for you verses a bond fund and where would you suggest a small investor go to buy an individual bonds?

Thanks, it's always a privilege reading your threads.
  • Smallish tweaks & my thinking is probably wrong. FWIW: Sold half of PRELX (EM bond) that's up nicely. The thinking here is this fund may be riding the gold & commodities boom - and when that turns may suffer. Trimmed a bit off a real estate fund, agreeing with M* as reported by DS they are likely overvalued. Also, bought a bit more HSGFX - down big time - in a rebalancing move. I use it to "offset" other more risky funds and may indeed be certifiably insane for sticking with it. I'm pretty sure this bull has longer to run, so the last move is painful, but in keeping with a plan.