Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

ETF - SPY SPDR S&P 500

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Maurice,
    An alternative to SPY would be SDY which is less than half the price and
    has about a 60% greater dividend...
    don't know about its probability of termination.
  • SPY is organized as a unit investment trust. So, it follows the rules of these trusts.

VOO is the Vanguard equivalent but this has relatively low volume because Vanguard was initially could not issue an S&P 500 ETF. I believe over time it will attract assets from SPY. An alternative would be VV or VTI.

Flack recommended SDY. If you are interested in Dividend ETF, than take a look at VIG as well.

• "SPY is organized as a unit investment trust. So, it follows the rules of these trusts."

In particular, the rule against perpetuities. As this article suggests, the rule has been around since about 1680, though there's been a trend by states to do away with it.

The clause given in the SPY trust doesn't seem the least bit bizarre once one is familiar with this rule and the reasons behind it. Understanding the rule is another matter. Fortunately, the clause in the SPY trust is very straightforward. (No conditions - just 11 clearly and I assume unambiguously named people.)

But the way the rule can play out can give lawyers nightmares. I know a Constitutional law professor who just blew off the rule when she took the bar exam - too complicated in a subject she had no interest (property law). Me, I think it's fun:-), but I wouldn't want to get tested on it either.