Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The most prudent and practical way of securing long-term solvency

When Mr. Market isn't doing it for ya, and conventional advice isn't producing, should magical thinking be discarded out-of-hand?

http://www.theonion.com/article/nations-financial-advisors-recommend-capturing-mag-51496

Comments

• beebee
    edited October 2015
    Bottom line, employees are given a narrow a set of choices within retirement plans to adequately diversify away from Mr Market. When Mr. Market is fickle... it don't tickle.

As I learn more about Roth IRAs I believe there may be diversifying potential with a Roth REIT IRA. Custodians for Roth REITS are hard to come by for small investors, but owning individual properties that are bought (hopefully at a discount), manage (throwing off a rental income stream) and then sold (hopefully at a profit) can provide a different risk profile compared to even owning REITS associated to the stock market (individual shares, etfs or mutual funds).

When there's one flavor in town (Mr Market) and (Mr Market's marketing arm with regard to IRA options) its disingenuous to suggest magical thinking as the answer to one's long term financial success. The article here seems to want you to ignore your emotions.

If your are rubbing a rabbits foot while hanging on every word out of CNBC at the normal day to day movements (volatility) of the market then maybe the author is more worried more about your emotional decision making and their impact on his bottom line...the investment industry makes little profit when your nervous (neurotic) and holding only cash.
  • edited October 2015
    Ah, befriend a wizard; a most glorious and old source of power. Click on my avatar for a reference.

Connect with the universe