Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

PRGTX seems to defy gravity

This fund seems to defy gravity, up 23% during the last year, up 98% during 3 years, up 153% during 5 years.

Any opinion?

Comments

• It's been a fine fund through four sets of manager changes. It's made good money this year through its e-tail investments. And Price doesn't encourage silly risk-taking.

One quick reminder, though: based on Charles's inception-to-date data, it took the fund a little more than 10 years to recover from the tech crash that bottomed in 2002. That's comparatively good but still sobering.

David
  • Another tech heavy fund (without the international component) with similar 1, 3, 5 and 10 year returns is FBSOX. And, it managed to sidestep the tech meltdown from 2000 to 2002.
  • edited October 2015
    I'm liking it, having started a position over the summer since I had next to no tech exposure and wanted something other than herd-based holdings. PRGTX is (to me) fairly eclectic in holdings, doesn't have the "usual suspects" overweighting their top 10, and has a nice mix of domestic and intl focus. I only wish it paid quarterly versus annually, to capitalise on volatility in the sector, though.