Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Succession Planning @ Osterweis

I have long contemplated investing in OSTVX. For what interest it may hold.

http://www.osterweis.com/news/Osterweis Inside Information reprint.pdf

Comments

• FWIW, I bought OSTVX near it's inception and used to be very happy with it, but it has been subpar for the last 2 years, so I finally sold it.
  • Patience is not about running out of it and then finally selling. Patience is about waiting to buy.

When vs What. No one wants to admit it, but THAT is singular factor behind which investors are successful and which are not. Even DCA don't work if you are DCAing as the market goes up. If you are lucky to DCA when matter goes down then good.

You should be happy you bought it near inception, at least you enjoyed some gains. Everyone has some reason to sell a fund and that's his own and no one else's to question. For instance, I bought AKREX near inception. Sold it last year since to me succession planning was not clear and it is where I had a lot of gains to offset losses against other funds. Never looked back.

Good luck with your next OSTVX. Meanwhile, with a $5K minimum, I will not DCA here. I will wait till I think I can take the risk. My DCA candidate for next year is BRUFX with its $1K minimum.
  • Yeah, my reason for selling it was a combination of it's performance and without going into detail how it was currently fitting in with the rest of my portfolio. It made more sense for me to sell it and put it into an all stock fund (I have been venturing into small and micro cap funds). Good luck if/when you decide to buy it.
  • edited November 2015
    @Chinfist And, of course, there now would be one more reason to consider a sell,
    e.g., 9/30/15 #1 hldg: Valeant Pharma, 2.93% :)
  • I was looking at that. However at least the position size was not exhorbitant. Like I said, fund to buy when it tanks.
  • Hi VintageFreak,

As it turns out, right now might be a good time to buy OSTVX. If you look at a line chart of its weekly price since 1/1/2015 with 3-week and 6-week exponential moving averages overlayed, it's a market timer's dream. The EMA crosses signal a buy in late January, a sell at the start of June, and are about to signal a buy this week. I use www.stockcharts.com for my charts.