Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Remembering Pearl Harbor

Hi Guys,

I remember my Mom and Dad tuning into President Roosevelt's day of infamy speech on a small kitchen radio. Here is a short video of his address to Congress on December 8:

Best Regards.

Comments

• @MJG: Thanks for remembering ! How the stock market reacted to the event.
    Regards,
    Ted
    But the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1942, which launched U.S. involvement in World War II, sent the Dow down 6.5 percent in four days through Dec. 10, 1941, Ned Davis Research said.� In that case, the Dow rebounded after a month for a gain of 3.8 percent, then it suffered over the following year. In three months it was down 2.9 percent, and after six months it was off 9.6 percent.
  • Thanks MJG and Ted for the remembrance.
  • edited December 2015
    MikeM said:

Thanks MJG and Ted for the remembrance.

Yes...many thanks.

And thanks to the men and women who responded admirably to this challenge. The scope and scale of this effort is one I can only barely begin to imagine.

press